I stopped drinking last Wednesday out of concern for my liver, I was having what I thought were signs of Fatty Liver Disease.  I thought I was doing a good thing, and I was fine until Friday night.  Alcohol withdrawal had never entered my mind.  I expected the shakes or something but that's it.  I couldn't catch my breath, I collapsed on the floor and my heart was racing, I was shaking, and then my head felt like it was in a vice. My blood pressure must have been sky high. This lasted for four hours, I probably should have gone to the ER, but I didn't. This started again the next night, but I knew what it was and I had a couple of beers, I was better.  It should have occurred to me that this should be done gradually, but it didn't, I didn't think I was that bad. 

I know this is stupid, but I never told my doctor how much I really drink, now I don't know if I should tell her what happened.   I am still planning to stop drinking but will taper off slowly.  Is it necessary for me to tell her, and if it is, can it wait until my next appointment.

Also do you think tapering is a good idea, I am so afraid that the same thing will happen, I know that I will probably get a beer at the first sign of withdrawal sympoms. 

Scared, I wrote the posts on today being day 41 for me without drinking.  Alcohol withdrawal was a concern when I quit this time and any time I have gone without drinking for more than a few days.  I knew what the cut off hours was for each step of withdrawal and knew that there could still be serious problems a week after stopping.  It sounds like you were definitely having alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

My doctor still has never been told and I don't intend to tell her unless there is some need.  My BP is now within the normal range and dietary supplements are helping my internal organs get back to normal or close to.  I am avoiding things like pain killers, food additives, high sugar intake and toxic chemical to reduce the strain on my liver.  At this point my liver enzymes should be well on their way to normal.  So, for the foreseeable future, there is no need to say anything to my doctor unless I relapse. 

I read up on tapering off.  It was my initial plan although I ended up doing a unplanned tapering down because I had been sick so I was drinking less but still daily.  I think a taper is the way to go for lessening the degree of alcohol withdrawal symptoms.  I'm sure there will still be some but not as severe.  I don't think a taper will work if you aren't fully committed to quitting and it might be easier to completely relapse during a taper because you are still drinking.  I'm not sure on either though.  When I was research for my plan to quit drinking, I found the information on tapering and thought it was a good idea.  I really didn't find many in the forums saying they used the taper and were still not drinking.  I did find several saying they were either trying or planning to try the taper.

At any rate even if you don't use a taper to completely quit drinking, tapering down your drinking can't be a bad thing.  Every day that you drink a little less is one day closer to completely quitting or at least getting your drinking down to the safe level.  I'm not sure whether getting to a safe level of drinking will eliminate the withdrawal if you then decide to quit entirely.   I fully intended on quitting to the point I wasn't drinking daily then at some point in the distant future being able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner if desired.  Others are completely quitting and others are simply trying to reduce but not abstain or quit.

Scared Straight? I read that post. Thanks for your advice. I am so afraid of more withdrawal symptoms. I drank Saturday when it started again, three beers, and Sunday I think I had four. Yesterday I got a six pack to have
if I felt funny, I drank it. I guess I'm going backwards. The reason I stopped drinking, instead of cutting back is because I can not drink. I just can't stop drinking. I guess the only thing I can do is drink less and less. I'm not sure that will stop the withdrawal symptoms, hopefully.