I have broken out in acne in the last three weeks although I haven’t had that much troubles with acne before. I am 16 years-old female and the reason I am so worried is that my mother has been diagnosed with hyperthyroid a year ago. I am so worried that I can get it too. I heard that acne could be caused by hyperthyroid disorder. I wanted to check if this is true. I talked to my mom, she says I don’t have it and that my acne are age related. Am I right to worry?

Hi there! Although hyperthyroidism is hereditary especially in the women’s line and although hyperthyroid could cause acne breakout, I somehow agree to your mother and I believe that your acne are age related. You are going through many hormonal changes at the moment and they usually cause skin problems especially with excessive oil production and acne. If you can’t put your mind at ease and this gets in the way of your activities, you could ask your mom to take you to her (or any other) doctor but to be honest I think you would have additional symptoms besides acne if you had thyroid gland problems.

Well I'm 19 and have hyperthyroid and up until now I never had acne, at least not as bad as it is now. My doctor said it's unusual for people out age to have it, but very possible, obviously. Apparently it can mess with all sorta of things in a woman's body, and explains a lot for me because I have undergone some horrifying things in the past year. I'm so lucky she did the test to check my thyroid, I'm hoping now my health can get back to normal. It's a super easy treatment compared to some of the other things I had to do. Just take one pill every day. And yes, thyroid issues can very much cause acne issues in women of all ages. Hope it gets better for you! ~Liz