This post is an extension of the

Fast Heart Rate After Alcohol thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

The only thing I have different to add to the dozens of posts is my "treatment." For most instances I found that taking the Target brand nighttime sinus med (over the counter) let me sleep the night through. On those rare occasions that I did wake up my episodes were greatly diminished.

Unfortunately the med specifically states to not take with alcohol so I'm sure I've killed many of my basic organs using this system. I have, unfortunately, quit drinking all together in the name of health. But I really miss a nice glass of wine.

I find the info about magnesium, etc. interesting and would appreciate an update by anyone that has tried it.

My problem started with red wine and has slowly crept into all sources of alcohol. I am 43, a half marathon runner and in decent shape.

Hello there. As you already know, there are so many studies that suggest that light or moderate drinking can cut your risk of heart disease and stroke. And that is OK, if you have drink or two on monthly basis, for example. Also, if you are drinking alcohol every day can raise your chances of getting atrial fibrillation, which is known as a heart condition that makes your heart beat really fast and off-rhythm. So, also this chest pain after drinking alcohol is related to fast heartbeats. I know that every time when I drink alcohol, I woke up in the morning having those fast heartbeats. 

17 male here, first time consuming alcohol. I had about half a thing of wine(drank it out of the bottle) needless to say I can't fall asleep and it's 3till 3AM. RED WINE STAY AWAY FROM IT - or don't drink that much I guess. I'm drinking some water right now and shivering my heart beat seems to have gone down I think the water may have helped.

OK, First off I want to say how glad I am that I have found this. Like many others I am feeling the same effects. Here is my history with alcohol. I am 24 years old.

-I have been drinking since I was about 15 years old.
-I am in very good shape and I was a state level athlete in high school and competed for two years in college.
-For a while I was a pretty heavy drinker during college but in the last year I have worked full time as a professional and I do not drink much during the week.
-I used cocaine a good bit in college but never to a level of abuse, and I have not used in about 7 months.

-About a month ago I woke up sweating, with a racing heart, and I literally thought I was going to die.
-This has happened three times since even if I have had three drinks or less.
-Each time I have had this though I have had something on my mind and I feel it may be related to anxiety.
-Turning on my side has helped and I think all of our cases may be related to sleep apnea.

-my email is *** if anybody has similar feelings or advice and wants to talk about it email me because it is scaring the sh*t out of me and like everybody else I enjoy a social drink with friends.

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

Having same problem, Does anyone know why this is happening? or how to fix it? Please do not give me your guesses, I been reading 9 pages in the previous post and still no answer so don't reply unless you have the correct answer.

Some of what your describing happens to me frequently when I drink. The fast heart rate usually only happens when I've had a few drinks. If I have many drinks to the point where I'm drunk, I'm usually able to sleep since well, I'm drunk. In the morning after I eat something, I'll notice very fast heart rate to the point where I may even have a panic attack which makes the heart beat even faster. For me, I have high blood pressure, so I'm thinking that that might be the cause, or maybe it's related to the meds I'm taking.

you have hit on something that I have thought of as well - anxiety. I've noted that on vacation I can drink like a fish and have no problems.

A few weeks ago I had my partner do some pressure point therapy in the center of the sole of my foot (major relaxation center) and I slept like a baby...

I would like to hear from others as to whether they are stressed when the episodes happen

I've been having this off and on for a few years but it's getting worse lately. I'm 33 years old, male and I find it seems to be much worse when I've had a latte the day before in combination with alcohol at night. Usually wine for me, say 3 or 4 glasses or whiskey and beer ...but I always drink water before I go to bed.

I used to think the problem was my heart but came to realize that my stomach was the real culprit, suddenly churning away at 3 or 4 in the morning with gas or a bowel movement (sorry, gross).

It simply has to be the combined effects of two products that A. cause anxiety and stomach bleeding (coffee) and B. raised blood pressure (alcohol).

Any medical practitioners think I'm getting close on this one?

I just had an episode tonight and am up looking at the internet. lol! I just ate some yogurt to calm my stomach and that seems to be working a bit.

I don't want this to be a rambling post, but here goes:
As with all previous posts, I've had rapid heartbeats after alcohol consumption and I first noticed this at age 43. Thought it was the caffeine in my rum and coke, then experimented with non caffeine mixed drinks. I'm not a heavy drinker - maybe out once or twice a week. I'll go to sleep and wake up with a heartbeat that's too scary to even try to monitor as though I've had this major 'running for my life' nightmare. And it's always at 3AM - no matter what I've had to drink - wine or liquor and no matter what time I go to sleep. And it can take from a half hour to a few hours to calm down enough to get back to sleep.
Have been to the doctor, also, who looks at me like I'm nuts because she hears a strong, healthy heartbeat with her stethoscope and EKG readings - I did the ER visit once also, and was told that anxiety attacks were probably the culprit. Pissed me off because when I told the ER doctor that it even feels like my heart is fluttering like a vibration when this happens - he looks at my husband as says "have you felt her pulse when this happens?" as though I was not credible enough to be believed.

Researching this a couple of years ago, the only info I found was a forum that explained that I may be missing an ezyme called ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE. (Can I get this in pill form??) During digestion, our bodies give off alcohol as a by product and this enzyme helps us metabolize this alcohol. If we lack it, we can't process it - thus rapid heartbeat, etc., when we overload the system by actually drinking alcohol.
Now, at 51, I'm healthy, in great shape, but even one glass of wine will set me off. Can't meet friends for "just one drink" after work because I don't want to handle the consequences later in the night.

Was talking with my nurse sister-in-law and a brother-in-law last night and the talk turned to the Thyroid issues of another relative. Specifically T3 and T4 production. Seems like you have to have production of both - like agonist and antagonist - so if you're not producing enough of one, the other wreaks havoc. Any one out there have any knowledge on the thyroid subject? And is the alcohol dehydrogenase thing related to it?

well, its 9am, and after tossing about since 4, I decided to look this up on the net.

29 male, work out 3-4x per week, 60 bpm resting rate. No history of heart conditions. Had a rockin new years eve party with some drinking games last night, had a total of about 6-7 beers (steel reserve 8.3% alcohol). Ate lots of bbq'd meat. I've drank this much in the past to no ill effect. well, come to think of it, I've been having insomnia about 1x-2x per week, but never attributed it to alcohol...

Woke up around 4, with racing heart (150-160), extreme dry mouth, and gas. Was pretty anxious after it didnt subside after 10 mins. I have to have at least 3-4 drinks to get a buzz since I have a pretty high tolerance and a lot of body mass.

Kinda disappointed that 10 pages haven't produced any concrete suggestions or explanations. But I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

I know this doesn't contribute much, but thank god for finding this. I was starting to think I am freak of nature. I am a hypochondriac anyways but I was thinking I was having heart failure at 24. I find it very interesting that almost all of us have the problem after more than 2 drinks. I have also discovered a couple of things personally:
1) Champagne does the fast HR REALLY bad to me and I suspect it has something to do with the amount of sugar
2) I can drink a couple of glasses of wine fine at home, but it seems to be the combo of all the stimulation at a bar + drinks that cause the HR.
3) I generally only have a drink per hour when I am out and get a small buzz. But recently I went overboard and got a bit hammered and didn't have the HR at all...so is being absolutely hammered the solution?!? Hope not! o.O

It used to be I passed out and then woke up with the fast HR, now I just straight cant fall asleep when I drink (I think this is in fear of whats to come with the heart rate). Someone mentioned being able to drink a bunch in France and I experienced the same thing, but all of their wines are considered organic over there so I wonder if that has something to do with it? I too like everyone else will take half a Xanax when this happens, but that really worries me too. A) I dont want to have an addiction issue with Xanax and B) you are specifically not supposed to drink when taking that drug.

I personally am just going to try each suggestion on here to see if it helps at all. I don't want to give up my wine (my in laws own a winery in Napa for pete's sake!) so I need to figure this out. I already know I am allergic to certain food additives (MSG to be specific) so maybe I just need to look into more pure forms of alcohol minus the preservatives etc.

Hello everyone. You can rest assured that you are all ok. I too have had this same condition and can shed some light on what is going on. After a night of drinking your heart rate may increase due to some chemical reaction/anxiety...who knows...its not important. I dont know the chemical/medical explanation but it just does. If you notice everyone here gets the initial same reaction "my heart is going to explode" or "I'm having a heart attack". This process starts the anxiety chain reaction. Your thoughts fuel your sense of fear and then your body goes into fight or flight syndrome meaning it thinks there is a lion chasing you or you are in some type of danger. Your heart is too strong to be damaged by this I can assure you. NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN HARMED BY ANXIETY AND THIS IS A PROVEN FACT. Your heart will not stop pumping. It is too strong to stop.

I remember being so scared I could feel the fear in my arms, my breath ran short, body tensed up. the reason is because in fight or flight our body prepares for some type of danger. You breath becomes short because of the increased oxygen that needs to get to you muscles. Adrenaline is released in your body to prepare you for some type of battle.

Trust me when I say this. You are ok. This is becoming more a more common. The reason is because our brains are having a tough time adapting the how fast information is processed, the heavier stress loads we take on etc...and we cannot evolve as quickly as we need to.

The first time I had a panic attack I was at home watching TV and almost called 911. You will not find the answer to what exactly triggered this so stop trying to find one. Your Amygdala has reset its benchmark for when anxiety is needed so all you have to do is bring it back down.

The way to do this is to...

1) KNOW that nothing is going to harm you.
2) Sit up with your chest out and breath in 1 second and out 2 seconds. Focus breathing through your nose and feel the air go into your diaphragm...not your chest. You are doing it right when you breath in and you stomach expands and when you breath out it contracts.
3) Don't think your way to the solution...thinking is fuel for anxiety. Say to yourself "wow so this is anxiety...ok great...no biggie." The answer is to breath and focus on nothing but your breathing. At first your mind will think crazy thoughts but keep breathing and counting the breaths in your head. Youll be fine and after youre done you will laugh it off I guarantee.

also I think I may have forgotten to address the topic of this post...rapid heart rate.

Fight or Flight Syndrome

Breath becomes shorter-more oxygen to muscles
Adrenaline is released-give your body strength to perform
Heart Rate-TO GET MORE BLOOD TO YOUR MUSCLES.

You guys are all fine TRUST ME!

Here is some good material to read:

Google "The Linden Method". It costs about a hundred and something dollars. I purchased it...it basically covers all the info I have just written but actually has techniques to get rid of anxiety without any medication. Its an excellent tool. Try to stay off the meds...you dont need them.

I posted previously that Target brand night time allergy med lets me sleep like a champ. My most recent discovery is Nyquil. One shot before bedtime and I sleep straight through - no heart rate, no anxiety.

Now then....both the allergy med and Nyquil have acetaminophen that you are not supposed to take with alcohol - can cause liver damage.

So I pose this question to the medical folks out there....What component of these meds is "fixing" the reaction to alcohol? Without Nyquil I am just like all other posters - wake up after 4 hours and not able to go back to sleep until the next night, sweats, heart racing, etc.

Any insights are welcome