o.O Ok I will be honest here and need some guidance as to what I should do. I am a white male of 39. I have been a reasonably heavy drinker since my late teens. I am not a binge drinker but have a few glasses of wine a week and a few beers. I noticed that when I had the odd 'big' session I got bad pain in my lower right side. I went to the doctors and they said it was muscular? It went away for a while. I have just been on a stag do for 3 nights and the pain has come back with avengeance..... the question I have is , is this just my body telling me to slow down or have I done any serious damage that needs deeper investigation. I have no other symptoms and when I went to the doc they did a blood test and it was normal? Any help appreciated

I think that You should probably slow down. If you dont it's likely that you will start to experience the effects of serious damage. If you only have pain and not any others symptoms then I think it's probably safe to say that your doctors are rite. You should really be careful especially at only the age of 39. The liver is resposible for very many things in the body, so if you had a problem there then you would probably have another symptom other than just pain. But the pain could very well be your liver in the process of being damaged. Chances are your body is warning you, in a matter of speaking, that if you continue to drink you will develop a problem. Hope I could help. :-D

I have exactly the same symptoms and have been for liver function tests which came back normal. As a result I have continued drinking and the frequency and level of pain is increasing. I have again been back to my GP who is referring me for a scan of my liver.

Since posting your concerns have you been for anymore tests or has the pain disappeared- I would love to here back from you.

I've got the same symptoms as well and my blood tests came back ok.
But would be interesting to know if mikey scan of his liver came back normal.

Hi not sure if this issue has been resolved for you but I too had similar issues over the last few years especially after alcohol. After having a few drinks the next day I would have a pain on the right hand side of my body about 6” up from my hip. After a few pints I would notice a pain the next morning. This got worst in time and the pain started to arrive some times only hours after a drink. I had several different types of scans and tests done but noting showed up. It got to the point that I was very ill and Alcohol was no longer a causing factor (Alcohol only seemed to enflame the issue).
In the end an ultra sound on my Right kidney spotted a blockage that was causing my right kidney to swell. A nights drinking seems to enrage this and that’s the first time I noticed the pain. I had an operation to remove the blockage and that was in 1998. So far I seem to be doing well. Just to mention I had to visit the hospital over the course of about a year and had been to see many Doctors and no one seemed to be able to find any thing wrong. It was a nurse who on the fly asked me what was wrong and done an ultra sound. She could see it was a blockage right away so it might be worth asking your doctor to take a look.

Hi im going to be honest here and tell you the facts. After I had mononucleosis I stopped drinking for 2 months but then a big music festival arrives and I drank and took 250mg of methylone and ate 6 hawaiian baby woodrose seeds but not on the same day of cause. These drugs have caused me to have odd feeling in my liver and after alcohol I feel a slight pain.
I hope this will disappear over time but Its soon to be a year in the past and im getting worries. I haven't talked to a doctor because I only have this odd feeling in the liver and dry lips and im tired.
This sucks very much because im only 19 and would hate to live with a damaged liver forever. Im a bit disappointed with my doctor because he didn't stress how dangerous mononucleosis is for the liver but I am of cause the one to blame.

So remember: Mononucleosis is a very annoying disease! >;)

Have you found an answer? If not, have your gallbladder checked out. Chronic, over consumption of alcohol can damage your gallbladder and a night of drinking would exacerbate the pain...

Hey all, I have been drinking for at least 14 years. I had been drinking more heavily for the last 5. I recently quit about 2 weeks ago and started getting a pain in my liver about 5 days ago. It is always present and I am gonna give it a week to subside. I would just say, it sounds like everyone here should seriously think about quitting for good. I'm 34 and have an 8 year old whom I adore. I do not want to leave her fatherless. I will pray for all of you while I'm praying for my own pain. Take care all and good luck.

Hi everyone just thought I'd share my story hopefully it helps, after binge drinking for 3 days I had a pain in my lower right side. I went to the Dr and had a blood test. The results were my liver was inflamed due to drinking, he said the inflammation would go down after i stopped. He told me when you drink and your liver starts to ache that's the bodies alarm system warning you to slow down, because if you drink over the pain irreversible damage could be done. Well being hard headed i didn't listen and kept drinking, so now I have more symptoms I still have the liver pain with jaundice and vomiting from time to time. I'm 23 yrs old and have been drinking since i was 14. It's time to stop.

I am a 20 year old female and suffering from the same symptoms. I used to drink daily due to personal choices and the friends I was hanging around. I did this for about a year straight. Then I starting getting sick everytime I drank. I would go to sleep around 2 or 3 in the morning and would wake up at 6 violently ill. This would occur every 2 hours until about 2 pm the following afternoon. I thought the pain I was having on my lower right side was from all the vomiting. However, I have been alcohol free for 4 months now and am still experiencing pain. Its a constant dull pain now with sharp pains on days that consume carbonated beverages. I have been to many doctors with all results coming back normal. I am not sure what to do and I was wondering if any of you had experienced the pain on days when you didn't drink?

Wow. I just sat down to Google 'Kidney Pain', because I've been experiencing pain on the lower LEFT side of my back, and found this wonderful forum! It seems that there are quite a few others that are experiencing (what I've always assumed to be) Kidney pain. The first couple of links I clicked on described Kidney pain as being a sharp pain under the ribs... this does not at all describe my symptoms. They started a year of so ago. I am 37, and for about 5 years I had been a heavy drinker, drinking probably about a half case of beer or more on an average day, and then sometimes going 'out drinking' at night. Sometimes my entire lower back would be in pain for up to 5 days, while drinking more moderately during that time. The pain would be in my lower back, and would seem to localize on the left side as it was subsiding. On days that the pain was more 'mild', I would only feel it on the left side. I quit drinking completely about 5 months ago after being diagnosed as 'Chemically Dependent', but on days that I drink more than a couple of cups of coffee, or more than 1 or 2 diet sodas, or (as is the case recently) take a dietary supplement intended to promote weight loss, I feel the pain again. It is always on the left side, though, which is a bit different from everyone else's story. I do not have health insurance, and haven't seen a physician, but from what I've read, it is quite likely that all "tests" would come back 'normal' anyway. I just want to Thank Everyone who has shared their story here, because now I at least know that I'm not the only one experiencing this, and medical test will probably be fruitless. I will see a Naturopath instead.

Hey all. I have a different story from some of you as I just turned twenty and though I will admit to drinking my way through high school and am now enjoying freedom in Europe, I have had side/back pains since I was 9. I FINALLY just got an answer today. My doctor finally took my advice and referred me to a nefrologist/urologist. I told him my symptoms and he was quick to tell me what it was. An ultrasound confirmed what he said but he wanted further confirmation and I was sent in for a CT scan. The diagnosis: PUJ obstruction. Look it up, google it, whatever works and mention it to your doctor. I am scheduled for surgery to have it fixed and am actually looking forward to the surgery. The pain from surgery can't be any worse than what I felt from the side aches. Best of luck to all. Spread the word to all you find that have the same symptoms- I have seen many forums of people saying the same things. Its a pain to deal with and can be fixed!!! Good luck to all!!!!!

i suffer with the same symptoms i get a dull aching pain after consuming any alcohol and it last for days, ive also been to see my G.P. on lots of occasions and over the past 3 years had about 4 liver function tests and an ultra sound, all results were normal on average i drink about 40-50 units of alcohol per week, and do this in 2-3 sessions, i am a binge drinker, i think its time to just stop and let my body recover before its too late, drinking culture now is way out of hand, and society and cheap drinks have caused this epidemic, alot of people in the next 20-30 years will suffer if they dont act now on their habits, me being one of them, i think sometimes you have to seperate yourself from the rest of the world in order to save yourself and stop thinking everything is fine because a doctor says so, drinking is no longer enjoyable for myself its a problem that i and everyone else on this page that is suffering needs to deal with by ourselves, only you yourselves can stop this, exactly like i am going to for myself and my family
good luck to you all and i wish you all the best and a healthier future

The last post seems to be pretty similar to mine. I'm 17 and I decided to give up drinking completely, early last December. Nothing serious but I just decided I didnt want to drink anymore, and to see if I could actually do it. I'd never had any problems before that and I would drink occasionally, maybe 1 or twice a month, along with a glass of wine or a beer with some meals.

Last Saturday it was my birthday so I had a few friends over and drank for the first time in about 3 months. Since Monday I've been experiencing quite severe pains coming from my liver area. They come and go in waves that happen every five minutes or so. And I've noticed that they get worse if i walk a lot. I'm having no other symptoms apart from the pain that's coming from just below my right pectoral. I've been to the doctors and I'm on some Omeprazole tablets, which are kind of gastro acid reflux pills. They also took a blood test but I haven't heard anything back yet. The tablets haven't really been helping yet, but it's early days. I'm just kind of worried, due to my age, and the fact that this pain has been going on for about 5 days now.

I'll post again if i hear anything from the doctor.

Drinking causes you your kidneys to release more fluid from your body by blocking a hormone known as ADH. That is, alcohol works like a diuretic and this is why you tend to urinate more when you are drinking. Therefore, if you are drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in a single setting, you are overworking your kidneys. This could be the cause of the dull-aching sensation in the area of your kidneys. But don't take these symptoms lightly. Consider it your body's way of warning you that your drinking is starting to have a negative impact on your internal organs.

The symptoms some of you mention sound like they could be due to many things ranging from nephritis (inflammation of the kidney) to a blockage of kidney function (i.e., a kidney stone). Therefore, you should consult a Physician Assistant/Physician if you continue to have this pain after you've stopped drinking for a few days. The PA/Physician will run some tests on you to make sure your problems aren't being caused by a more serious problem.

For now, stop drinking alcohol for a while (at least 4 weeks) and avoid caffeine. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. If you want to continue drinking after a 4 week period, keep your intake limited to 2 drinks each night that you decide to drink. If you continue to abuse alcohol, you may eventually cause irreversible damage.