HI. Fortunately, I’m not here because of my but my friends’ health. Recently the doctor diagnosed a friend of mine with throat cancer. Doctor initially thought that it is due to smoking but he also mentioned that drinking beer could also cause the development of throat cancer. He also advised him stop drinking beer and smoking. I know that smoking is the most common cause for throat cancer but this is the firs time I’ve heard that bear (alcohol) can cause it too. I know that my friend used to drink 3 - 4 glasses of beer a night so I’m wondering is it possible that was cause for the cancer. ??? Has any research been carried out that makes a clear connection between drinking beer or any other alcoholic drink and developing cancer??

Hi. The development of cancer is very complex involving many factors. The most important factors involved are lifestyle, daily diet, oral hygiene, genetic factors and personal characteristics. Of course, smoking is number one on the list but there are serious indications in large number of studies that the combination of heavy smoking and drinking greatly increase the risk of throat cancer. I believe that your friend’s doctor was correct because, as you said, he told him that drinking beer along with smoking can cause it. Basically that is true because drinking alcohol sure contributes to the development of throat cancer. It highly increases the risk.

well im almost 16 now and ive been a binge drinker and a full time smoker for a while now. lately ive been sick and ive had a very rough cough which i thought was just a cold and would soon break but it doesnt seem to be happening. i have been doin some research and it says the first signs of throat cancer are a very hoarse cough so now im gettin really f***in scared......

The possibility that you already have developed throat cancer at such a young age is pretty unlikely. That being said, if you are really f*****g scared you might have it, perhaps you should cut back on the hooch and fire tubes?

my husband just was told that he has throat cancer and he is only 35 years old he has been a heavy drinker and smoker for a very long time, he has 3 girls that love him dearly but are now very scared that their dad has cancer. Just be careful if you slow down now you probally will never have too go through this. It is not fun watching someone you love go through cancer so quit while you are ahead

I have only started drinking regularly in the last year and half, and in the last few months in particular I've been drinking quite heavily on the weekends and normally very little, if at all, during the week. Prior to this, I RARELY drank even one or two servings a week. I am a non-smoker (aside from shisha in hookah bars on very rare occasion), 24 years old, I eat extremely healthily otherwise, I drink TONS of water and low-acid teas, and I exercise regularly.

However, in the last few months I have noticed chronic scratchiness of my voice, even just speaking, and limited vocal range. I used to sing in high school and a little in college, as a soprano principally, and I am now finding that I can't reach notes anywhere near where I used to.

At first I chalked it up to dehydration and voice strain after nights out, but it seems that even after a period of resting the problem doesn't resolve itself completely, and quickly returns if I drink again.

Can anyone give me an idea what the chances are that I've developed throat cancer already? Or perhaps some other condition that could lead to cancer? What are the chances in general for someone with my consumption habits (which I know will wane as I get older) of developing cancer or causing chronic vocal damage? I'd appreciate any advice a medical professional can offer me!

Thanks in advance!

My apologies if this duplicates, I originally posted this as a guest but I joined the network so I'm hoping it will appear sooner:

Thanks in advance!

i have lods of lumps in my throat i juss turned 18 smoked for years drink alost everyday for years take a lot of drugs as in class a no weed ears hurt cant swollow bloood comes up everytime i spit .............. what are pewople sayin to that

Strep throat or TB.  See a doctor, spitting up blood is always a bad sign.