I'm 22 and was a smoker for about two years and i had just quit smoking for over a week now. (i wish i never lit my first cig)

I currently suffer hoarseness of voice (it just happened after I shouted, although i also think it's caused by excessive smoking) and an itchy throat leading to coughs. I once saw blood mixed with my phlegm when i coughed it out one morning. However recently i produce little phlegm when i cough however my cough is still constant. I am worried I have lung cancer. I am extremely paranoid that I have, I make myself believe I have chest pains (even though I'm not in pain). Do i have lung cancer? Can one acquire lung cancer for smoking for only two years? If not, does being nervous affect my chances of acquiring this disease?

Please help, extremely paranoid, can't sleep

-juls

Tobacco smoke has a natural cough suppressant in it. After you quit smoking you will cough for a while because you're not getting that. It get's better slowly so it's hard to notice it but you know you did the right thing. Congratulations, hang in there. I quit 28 years ago. You should be about over the nicotine withdrawal now. You may still have the habit stuff to deal with. My hand kept reaching into my shirt pocket for months. Good luck.

Thanks and I appreciate your reply. That explains the constant coughs even after quitting, i was scared because my coughs were void of phlegm. After quitting I also habitually checked my pocket for my smokes before leaving the house even-though I don't smoke anymore. XD

However, I'm still worried because of the presence blood in my spit when i coughed it out one morning (but my current coughs are without either phlegm or blood) and the current hoarseness of voice I have. I have researched around the net and found these as symptoms for lung cancer. Should blood in phlegm be chronic to be considered as symptom?

Is it indeed possible to obtain lung cancer after merely two years of smoking? And does my current paranoia and fear actually worsen my chances of obtaining the disease. I am extremely paranoid.

With only two years of smoking and at your age, I don't think it's likely.