Hello, I had my gallbladder removed about 5 months ago, and ever since then, I feel like I can't hold alcohol.. I don't drink very much, yet it seems like I get sick no matter what.. Is this common??

I have had the same problem, and from the reading I have done on the internet, it seems a small percentage of people have this problem. I had my gall bladder out in October 06. Before that I could drink a huge amount and have minimal hang overs. Now I can only have a couple of drinks before I start to feel sick and get bad hang overs from only a couple of drinks.

i had mine taken out in late august 07 and since then i get headaches after i drink alcohol. dont know if its due to the surgery or not but its never happened before :-(

I had my gallbladder removed (due to gallstones) about three years ago. Before then, I could drink with no problem. Ever since it was removed, I can drink only a few before I start to feel sick and have a headache. Also, I get calf muscle cramps the next morning. The body usually will cramp up when it is dehydrated, but I never drink more than three or four drinks, so I know that I am not dehydrated.
Now, whenever I plan to drink, I take Excedrin Tension Headache before drinking. It seems to minimalize the headache the next day. Also, I drink water before drinking, sometimes during, and definitely after to help with the headaches and cramps.
I have heard of many people that are affected in similar ways when they drink after gallbladder removal. I have also tried the "Chaser" product that is supposed to absorb alcohol when you drink... didn't work for me. I always hoped that this would go away with time... but after three years, it seems as if it's gonna stick around. :-(

Ok, so I had my gallbladder out about 2-3 months ago and drank three drinks the night before last. I woke up yesterday feeling ok but as the day went on I began to feel sick to my stomach, by the end of the night I almost went to the emergency room. I could not stop throwing up and it reminded me of the days before I had it removed. It was awful, I also have had constant diarrhea. I am feeling ok for now other then the diarrhea but I am afraid to eat or drink anything. I guess my days of drinking are over.

Hi, i was reading about removel of the gallbladder and drinking and i feel the same way feeling sick the next day and living on the toilet most of the day. im not a big drinker as well and i was able to handle drinking with no problems what so ever. oh i had my gallbladder removed april/08

I just had my gallbladder removed last week. So tonight I met a few friends out for the first time since the surgery. I had decidced that I would try just one drink to see how I tolerated it. So i did. Keep in mind, before the surgery, I could tolerate large amounts of alcohol.

So after a meal, I met them out. Started out with a couple cokes. Then decided to get a drink. I seriously drank maybe 1/3 of the drink and I became extremely light-headed. I was so concerned about this that I immediately stopped drinking it and followed it with a glass of water. It was as if I had consumed a case of beer for 5 minutes or so. Luckily, the large glass of water killed the adverse reaction, and I was able to go home a short time later.

Bottom line is, this has never happened to me before. I was completely caught off-guard, and it concerns me greatly. It appears that my drinking days may be over as well. I may try it once more in a couple weeks while at home just to be sure... but I can tell you that this reaction to alcohol is real.

I had my G.B. removed about 9 years ago , and the Surgeon WARNED me , Never drink any Liquor because your body can't process it without a G.B.

So I haven't drank anything again.

I love Marguritas , Chi Chi's and Kaluha and Cream.
I sure miss them.

I had my gallbladder removed in the end of July. I think with everyone the after effects are different because I can't really eat anything without having to go relieve myself right after but I can consume alcohol and feel alright that night and the next day. I know, i know, i know...I'm not supposed to drink and don't need to to have a good time but I just wanted to see how well I'd take it and I still feel fine. I don't mean to sound like a hypocrite or anything but I really wouldn't advise it for any other gallbladderless members just for the high risk factors. If the doctor says don't do it, you probably shouldn't. I just don't really do too well with people telling me what to do. Call me a stubborn cow if you must =^p

hey guys, so i had my gallbladder removed almost 2 years ago. I havent found any problem in drinking besides if i drink a lot of shots. Beer, margaritas, etc have been fine. I havent noticed any big differences besides i get drunk quick and hang overs come a lot easier. i be sure to drink a lot of water throughout the night. i drink probably 5-6 times a week due to my young age but never normally enough to get drunk. the only problems i have really had is tension headaches and a medical problem that causes my head and neck area to go into constant stress mode sometimes that can feel like tension headaches. i am not sure if that is because of alcohol though. i guess my main fear and question is about the long term affects on my liver and if it strengthens my chances of some type of disease. thanks for all the feedback!

hi everyone i had my GB removed in july 09 and havent really drank since but the other night we decided to have a get together and i decided i would drink well i got down about half a drink and got the same pain i had when i was having GB attacks it hurt so bad. does any one know if this is normal? and i had only 3 drinks and was totally wasted and b4 i never got that drunk that fast.

Hey guys,WOW!!, i thought i was the only one!!!! Glad to hear that i am not.. I had my Gallbladder out In November 08.. and before i could consume a large amont of alcohol and have a hangover, but i would eat and feel better. Now, 3 or 4 drinks and i am sick!! and the thought of food makes me sick(may as well had the whole bottle). we went out for new years and i had a lot to drink i was a alot of fun, but the next day was not fun at all! I was violently ill all day and could'nt keep even water down. the worst thing is after my surgery i ask my surgen if there would be any side effects of this nature and he said NO!! it wasn't till recently that i thought maybe it had somthing to do with having my gallbaldder removed, then i decided to google it and found this site now i know. :-)

Hey guys, WOW!! thought i was the only one :? I had my gullbladder out in November of 08, and after the surgery i asked my surgen about the side efects of alcohol and he said there was NONE! so i carried on like normal..except i was getting bad bad hangovers and only after 3 or 4 drinks :( to be honest i just thought i was getting old i am only 27 lol :) then i was thinking maybe it has somthing to do with my gullbladder and so i googled it and found this site and now i know [/url]

A little over a year ago I had my gallbladder removed and became concerned that I wouldn't be able to indulge with my friend on special occasions. After reading into it I figured there was no way I'd ever be able to drink again. I attempted to see that the outcome wasn't what I read. Now I get drunk faster, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I never had hang overs when I still had my gall bladder but now I face them from time to time. Everyone's body is different, so don't be discouraged by what you read and test things out on your own to see how your body reacts!

I had my gb removed 4/08. Years before the surgery it was hit or miss if I would get sick after drinking. Now I can not have more than 2 drinks. I get very sick about 3-4 am. Thowing up, chills, sweats, diamond splinter headache in the eye. Now that we know it's a common thing has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm dying to tie one on :-(