I was wondering what kind of effects that alcohol has on your body if you have had your spleen removed. Can you still drink alcohol with out your spleen?

Hi Casey,
I'm having my spleen removed next week and my consultant says that i will be ok to drink alcohol without my spleen.

Hope this helps.
Kx

i am selva,i have removed my spleen.can i drink alcohol like beer

Hallo,
It is very unfortunate for you that you had to remove your spleen. Spleen is very important part of our body because it helps your immune system to be strong. What kind of injury have you had so you had to remove the spleen?
Now considering the alcohol drinking question after you had your spleen removed I would have to say that this is not a good option. But the most important period when you really shouldn’t drink alcohol is the recovery period. After that your body should be able to endure anything, even alcohol. But I wouldn’t suggest that you drink it too much because it makes your blood thinner and this is not good if you don’t have a spleen.

i had spleen removed last 2 year's back,before i have spleen 4 year's back my weight is 74,after my spleen removed my weight is 60 like that only,i want know how is posible for this weight loss,for that i want to get my body weigth can drink alcohol like beer are wine plz replay

I drank like a fish before having my spleen removed.  Now that I am without a spleen alcohol affects me in a whole new way.  It's like a switch flips.  One minute I'm fine and then one drink later I'm totally wasted. 

I had my spleen removed in 1981 and have enjoyed consuming alcohol since but I must say that recovery is slower and after a big session sometimes my stomach etc seems to shut down for a few hours. Overall though everything in moderation but yes you can drink alcohol.

Ps I went 13 years post operation without Pencillian!

I had my spleen removed when I was 17; back in '83. I didn't drink alcohol until I was 18, as I was a good kid ;-). but between the years of '83 and '96 when they discovered I had to bolster a low immune system with penicillin I drank on a regular basis with no side affects apart from the obvious one.

I am on penicillin constantly now, and Doc has advised not to drink, at least not big sessions as it affects how the penicillin in my system works, although this is possibly the fact that I am now on 1gram of penicillin a day as opposed to 250mg I was on when I first started. I also lost my gallbladder at the same time, as I have a Congenital Blood Disorder and one of the symptoms of this is gall-stones, and as the disorder is incurable then it had to go.

This is exactly how it affects my body too. Im currently trying to fight a DWI case and doing some research to see if me, not having a slpeen would affect my BAC level. Nice to know I'm not the only one that feels like this :)

Following Aortic Anurism repair my husband suffered from loss of blood preasure.

It was found that the spleen had ruptured post-op and he had to go back for a further 4 hour op to remove said organ.

I have been advised that he will need to be on antibiotics for the rest of his life.

same I had my spleen removed and I can't drink like i used to. ):

I havnt had a spleen since July 2010 I drink liquor every day I'm scared that it will hurt me in the long run. I guess I'm just asking if anyone does the same and can educate me on what can happen

I had a tumor on my pancreas and when the doctor went in to remove it she saw that the was growing on my spleen so she removed it

I got low platelets. Bleed cause I drink. Taking out my spleen will it help?

U still drink. Do u hav like me low platelets? I bleed from my nose and mouth. Get those nose plugs. Hate it. I hav to stop drinking or I will die. But I still drink. It sucks.