SAT EVE.I DYED MY HAIR. MONDAY WHEN I AWOKE TO GO TO WORK MY FACE, FOREHEAD AND NECK SWOLLEN.WENT TO HOSP 530 AM .THEY GAVE ME PREDNISONE AND BENEDRLY.BY THE TIME I GOT OUT AND HOME MY EYES ARE CLOSING. I TOOK PRED AT 930 AM BENEDRYL AT 10,BUT MY FACE IS STILL SWOLLEN.SO HOW LONG WILL THIS MED TAKE TO START WORKING? CAUSE IM WONDERING IF IM GONNA END UP IN THE HOSP.AGAIN TONGHT....

Hi

My daughter had severe reaction to hair dye.  She has dyed her hair for many years and had used the same product.  It started with her head tingling, then glands started to swell. Next it started with a small red patch on her face.  From there is got worse.  Every day it would spread.  They were open, oozing, painful sores that spread over 1/2 her face, neck and ear.  The oozing was so severe that she had to keep a large gauze pad on to absorb all the liquid that would actually drip off her face.  We were actively seeking a cure.  We saw medical doctors, internal specialist, infectious doctor, dermatologist, etc, over a course of 6 weeks.  All doctors were asked if this could be caused from hair dye.  Since she had used it many, many, times before, they all said "NO" and did not even consider the possibility.  Finally after circulating her photo with the "burns" on her face, a prominent NYC dermatologist diagnosed her and treated her.  She was put on Cyclosporine for several weeks and then had to have steroid injections in her face to break down the lumps that had formed.  Today, which is a year later, her faced has healed completely.

The cause was the PPD chemical in the hair dye which was determined by a patch test from an allergist and also by a biopsy. What happens is that the body becomes sensitized with use and then one day explodes.  PPD is derived from coal and is toxic. Several countries have banned this product.  In the USA, the FDA is aware of this but has not put a ban on this.  It has a larger presence in the darker hair dyes.  Over the past year, I have found that hundreds of men, woman, and children, have had horrific reations.  Some cases have resulted in disfigurement and even death.

My advice would be to find a doctor who is familiar with this allergy so you can be treated correctly.  I wish you well.

Donna