My mum has been trying to dye her hair, but it's not been working. Her natural hair colour is black and she wants to dye it brown. She's tried many different products - different types of brown and from different companies too.

Any suggestions please?

It's really hard to dye dark hair a color that is lighter. Some people find that bleaching their hair first and then dying it works better. I do have a friend that has black hair though and dyed it brown but she just had to put LOTS of dye in it and dye it twice. Try that?

Thank you for the tip. I shall tell my mum.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated too.

Have you ever tried Heena on your hair. Its actually a herb or plants leave.

"Henna or Lawsonia inermis is a kind of private bush that grows abundantly in eastern countries. It has a natural, vibrant color that coats hair to add lots of shine.

Hennas have been used since 3400 BC and are well documented safe methods for dying hair (and skin). A henna can be modified with other ingredients like chamomile, rhubarb, coffee, and indigo.

Henna quality depends on which country it is grown in. For instance, Egyptian and Pakistan henna gives a weak orange. Iranian henna is very fine quality and it gives a vibrant red color. Obtaining Iranian henna is not simple, but UK gals can get it from Lush."

There are two ways. One way as mentioned earlier is to bleach the hair first then put the shade of brown she wants. Yes this is very drying to the hair. It is not safe to bleach at home. There is a certain way of doing it. Like keeping the bleach away from the scalp when applying then going through it all later and lifting up the roots.

The second and most healthy for the hair would be to talk your mom into settling for a reddish brown. Her black can be lifted to this with a high volume peroxide and lighter shade of a golden brown. Again, this should be applied at a salon by a professional. You can't just throw the color all over the head. It has to be parted and applied in thin sections and according the the porisity on the ends and what not indicates when or what you put on the ends. Also again, the heat from your head makes the color applied next to the scalp lift faster and lighter than all the rest of your hair, so you want a pro to apply the color to your moms hair appropriately, which would be an 8th of an inch to a half inch from the scalp then out. You go back later and apply it to the root area closest to the scalp and it lifts up like in 10 minutes. I would NOT put a bag on your head and stick you under a dryer! The conditioners and oil in the color will melt and your roots end up really lighter than the rest of your hair! I only put people under the dryer for highlights in foil or condition treatments, celephanes, shades, coatings etc. My advice would be to give lovely mom a gift certificate to a nice salon and let her get a professional job done to her hair. Treat mom, she most likely deserves it and will appreciate your kindness. Good luck, let me know what happens!