I have dark brown hair with some gray. I use an ash hair color and always end up with a reddish tint.
I've even had my hair dresser color my hair and ended up with the same results.
Any ideas of a hair color that will slightly lighten my hair, color up the gray and not turn my hair a reddish tint?
Are certain brands better than others? I've tried Color Silk, Revlon and L'oreal.

Ok, I have kind of a silly question:

When you say that your hair dresser did it, do you mean the she/he colored it with a dye from the store or one from the salon?

Also, no offense to you or your hair dresser, is your hair dresser a professional or is it just a friend that you have do your hair?

Sorry if the questions seem silly, but my mom has the same problem but she started going and getting her hair done professionally and it has not turned redish yet.

--LinZ

Yes my hair dresser is a professional and has been doing hair for about 10 years. She mixed the hair color at the salon. She also used an ash color ( according to her it should not turn red) and high lighted the top using foil.

I understand.... your questions are not silly....just can't figure out what's going on. Maybe I should have continued letting the stylist color it....maybe eventually she would have gotten it right. I just figured why pay her major bucks when I can get the same results at home!

I should have mentioned she used ash hair color for the all over color and then highlighted the top and front.

It may be the brand you and your hair dresser are using. It could be that the brand of dye your hair dresser uses it a low-cost dye. You could try going to someone else. It may be little more expensive, but your paying for the quality. A better brand will take to your hair better. Also, make sure you wash your hair with cool water the first couple of washes. This allows the hair follicle to close up quickly and hold onto the color longer.

I'm sorry I wasn't too much help, but I hope I have helped at least a little.

--LinZ