Hi, I have developed a rash on my hands that is very annoying. Also my nose is runny and I sneeze all of the time. I think that I am having some kind of allergic reaction, but I don't know what is causing it. I have never been allergic to anything so this condition is very disturbing. Should I go to an allergic specialist to see what is wrong with me? Do you know how these doctors determine the cause of the allergy?

Hello, allergic reaction can develop at any moment. It does not matter that you weren't allergic before. The thing about allergy is that at some point the immune system that protects us from infections recognizes an agent that was normal before as a threat and reacts. The symptoms that you are experiencing are the symptoms of this reaction. Because you have never had these symptoms before I think that seeing the allergic specialist would be the best thing you could do to determine the cause of your allergy. Allergic specialists have a similar education as the rest of the specialists. They get regular medical education and then spend couple of more years specializing in immunology and allergy. Allergy specialist will order a number of tests to determine the cause of the allergy. The doctor will then advice you about the steps you have to take to ensure that your allergic reactions would be less expressed.