Hi, I am a great cat lover. My last cat was with me for nine years. When she died it took me some time to recuperate, because I was very attached to her. But now I have decided to get a new cat. I have seen the one I like and I have bought it. After a few days I have started to notice these strange symptoms. My nose was runny all of the time and my eyes were so watery that I could barely see. I don't know what might be the cause of this. The only thing that comes to my mind is cat hair allergy, but I wasn't allergic to my old cat, so I am very confused. Could I be allergic to my new cat's hair only?

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your old cat. I can see that you loved her very much. It does not necessarily mean that just because your symptoms started around the time you got your new cat the cat hair is the reason for them. However, these problems are very consistent with allergy symptoms. Allergic reactions are not something you are born with. Some of them appear earlier in life, but there are others that take time to develop. Maybe you would have developed the allergy to cat hair with your old cat as well, if she was still alive. It is just a coincidence that the new cat was the trigger for the reaction. You should definitely see a doctor who will do some tests to determine if cat hair is the cause of your allergy and if you have an allergy at all. And even if you turn out to be allergic to cat hair, there are still ways for you to keep your cat. Some air filters and the cat space perimeters might help you a lot. But I am sure that the doctor will talk to you about everything.