Hi, I am a person who likes to take long walks trough the park. Of course, the walks are most satisfying in the spring. Since my favorite period of the year has started, couple of weeks ago I went out for my usual walk. Nothing special was going on except for my "behavior". I started sneezing, my nose was all runny and my eyes were itching. This lasted a while. I knew that I was having an allergic reaction. I saw my doctor and, after some tests, he determined the cause of my allergy. It was mold. I have never heard that someone is allergic to mold. Can you tell me something about mold allergy?

Hi, mold allergy is very rare, considering the fact that there are thousands of types of mold. There are only few dozen that can cause an allergy. Mold allergy is a reaction of the body when it gets in contact with the mold spores. When that happens, your body produces antibodies to fight these spores. When the contact has passed, the antibodies are still being produced that remember the threat (mold spores) in order to fight them again if the body gets in contact with them again. This causes releasing of histamine which produces symptoms like the ones you have experienced. Mold allergy is not life threatening. The only way for this to happen is if you have weak immune system, like the one that people with AIDS have, or if you have asthma as well. Treating of mold allergy is the same as treating any other. It consists of acting against the symptoms.

Thank you so much I found your post helpful Leandra. My daughter has a mold allergy and she has been so sick lately. I live in a basement unit and can't afford to move. I'm doing all I can to keep it under control. I am so scared by reading of toxic mold and thinking she could die or get cancer and I am feeling so scared and guilty. I'll make another appt with her allergist but I'm so scared of mold I can't even sleep.