Hi, our family has had a pet dog for three years. We all love him very much and couldn't imagine our lives without him. However, recently I have noticed that whenever he licks my arm I get this strange rash. It took me some time to connect the rash to the dog, but now I am sure that it is he that causes the reaction. Do you know what might be the cause of the problem? Do I have an allergic reaction to my dog's saliva or is this some kind of an infection?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear that you are having these problems and that you can't enjoy playing with your dog like you used to. The rash might be a consequence of some kind of an infection, but since you said that you are the only one in your family experiencing this reaction I would rule out this as a reason of your rash. An allergy sound much more plausible. The dog's saliva contains proteins that in cases like yours are allergens your body detects as a threat and reacts. The reaction is similar to one of the inflammation and the rash is one of the symptoms. However, because the dog's saliva can be transferred to the dog's hair, I am surprised that you are getting this reaction only when the dog is licking you palm. Because of this it would be best for you to see a doctor and explain your symptoms to him. The doctor will do all the necessary tests and determine if you are really allergic to dog saliva, or if something else could be the problem.

I just started volunteering at my local Humane Society to be a dog walker. On Monday I started my first day. The first dog I walked bounded out of his cage, and licked me on the neck and jawline before I was able to settle him down and put his leash on. The next day, I developed a rash over my upper chest. By Wednesday, the rash had spread to my neck and along my temples. I have red spots, almost like measels, but no itching.

Could this have been cause by the dogs saliva???

I get a rash too. if you are still checking into this. tell me what your rash looks like? ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

They are NOT crazy.  I, too, get bumps on my skin where my dog licks me.  My chocolate lab is 8 years old and this has happened to me from the day we brought her home at 8 weeks old.  It goes away when I wash my arms, so I've never been too worried about it.  Not getting rid of her for this small problem that is easily taken care of with washing!  

Im here for the same thing I actually have the outline of a tooth and thats what made me sure. Its my neighbors dog so I dont ahve to worry. My question was simply is it possible. These answers and question put my mind at ease. And For You "Josias"Ok OK Your a heartless want to be tough guy! K feel better? If you have a life threatening allergy to your pet try and relocate it with someone you trust. If a savage dog is attacking your children or you and you have the means YES fight back. 

Why should people consider themselves superior to dogs, let alone any creature?

I have the same thing happening to me but it only lasts like 10 minutes and it goes away does that strike mean I'm allergic??

Sorry I meant to say still not strick!

I've had dogs my whole life and always play with a dog walking down the street without any problems besides the occasional sneeze. But whenever my sister's Boxer licks me, I break out in terrible hives in the area that she licked. I know I'm not allergic to dog saliva in general because I always allow dogs to lick me. Could it be I'm only allergic to Boxers? I plan on doing a mini experiment by finding another Boxer to see if that's the case, but what else could it be?

This is happening to me with our w our new Doberman addition but never with our sh*t Tzu we have had years

Well let me see.....Can a dog feed you? Can a dog take you to a doctor when you are sick? Can a dog mortgage a house so you can live in it? I'm pretty sure humans are superior to dogs.

What??? BTW it's neighbor's, don't, and you're. I'm the one fighting back for good grammar here now.

Humans are the most cognitively advanced species of animal there has ever been. So that's makes us superior, however, that also makes us their protectors.

I have a boxer and when he licks new I get a weird sensation and small red bumps but it does seem to go away with washing