Hi everyone :)

My friend Misha adopted this lovely kitty from the shelter. She was just sitting in the corner alone. She wasn’t playing with no one.

She was very sad when she told me this and she asked me what to do. I suggested her to adopt this cat so she did it :)

She found out that her Floky is allergic to meat. We don’t know was she allergic to meat before or this just happened now.

Can you tell me what are the causes of meat allergy in cats and how to feed her?

Tnx for any advice. 

Hey there.

That is so nice. Every cat needs an owner. I believe that she is going to be very happy in your friend’s home. First, I don’t believe that she became allergic to meat that soon.

I suppose that she was allergic to meat before.  It is very simple – this is caused by an allergic reaction to one or more ingredients in cat’s food, in your case meat. Cats also can become very allergic to the food that they haven eat for a long time.

You can feed her with every food but of course you need to avoid ingredients that she is allergic to.

Hello. I believe that there is no such thing that you can explain why your cat has allergy to some ingredients. You see, a cat can get some bad allergic reaction even when she eats something and then she stops to eat it. After a while (months, two) your cat can be allergic to certain ingredients. It is very important to visit your vet in this time just to be sure is your cat allergic to something. Never give those foods to your cat because it can become very bad. There are so many other things that you can feed your cat with.

Hey everyone.

Well, sometimes determining why some cat is allergic to meat is very big challenge lol. I am pretty sure that your cat is not for current diet program that you are giving to her. But still, you need to determine the problem. For example, my neighbor cat was allergic to meat and she was feeding her with novel diet program.

Well this diet program is based on the fact that most of cat food allergies are treatable to the proteins and carobs and I believe that novel diet can be the cause. Test that your vet can do are very helpful. Good luck!

Allergies in cats are very common. I think that food allergies are one of the most common allergies in both cats and dogs. Only allergies to flea bites and maybe to inhaled substances are more common.

The signs are usually very visible. They include constant scratching and irritated skin.

The thing is, when it comes to cause, it is just the same as for all other types of allergies.

We are dealing with an immune system that is not functioning properly- it recognizes all sort of things (meat in this case) as a threat and this leads to allergic response.

Hey everyone. It is nothing new. Allergies are very common in cats and meat allergy is one of those allergies.

But trust me no one better than your vet can determine what is the main cause of your cat’s meat allergy.

It is not so hard to determine it anymore since a lot of test can be done in this case. Like everyone other told you, you just need to avoid certain ingredients that you cat is allergic to and no problem for your cat and no headache for you :)

But you need to be extremely careful when you are feeding your cat.

Hey there guys. Well in most of the cases cause is non – immune or food intolerance reactions because they usually result from ingestion of food with very high levels of histamine. Maybe it can be caused by substances that include histamine either directly or even through histamine releasing factors. Intestinal parasites or some intestinal infections can also cause this damage. It actually can result in the abnormal absorption of allergies to some ingredients. It is very important to visit the vet with your cat and I am sure that very soon you will know what is going on with your cat.

Hey Carla,

I don't think that you can know the exact cause of an allergy, either. Although, there is this one thing that can be the cause of a meat allergy, but it only makes your cat allergic to red meat.

There is this tick called the Lone Star which can make your cat allergic to red meat by biting her. They are everywhere these days so they might be the cause.

How to feed her? Well that's easy, feed her with anything but meat.You can consult with a vet about a proper diet program for her, or you can search a bit and find it yourself.

Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure about this, I wouldn't say that you can find out what causes an allergy towards something. It just has to do something with the cat's immune system, I suppose. And these things are usually like this since the cat's birth so they can also be inherited, nothing you can do about that, I think.

Put her on some vegetarian dietary program. Search on the internet, visit a few pet stores, talk to some owners who had a cat with this allergy for some time now. This shouldn't be a problem, as long as you find a good diet for her.

Hi there,

I have a cat with a meat allergy so I think I can help you with an advice or something.

First of all, don't even try to find out what caused the allergy because you're just wasting your time. Plus, you won't even be able to figure out if she got this allergy now or did she have it since her birth, although cats are usually born with these allergies.

When it comes to food, my cat eats what I'm eating. We even share the same plate, don't judge. I give her everything that I prepare for myself, except for meat, and she's fine. :)