Hello! My son, who is 24, has been suffering from severe pain after he had tonsillectomies performed. His doctor prescribed Fentynol to him. I went to get the drug and I read on the box and this drug is very strong and that it can be habit forming. We have already had problems with addiction earlier, and to be honest I wouldn’t want this to happen again.

Hello. Fentanyl acts in the central nervous system to relieve pain. When this narcotic is used for a long time, it may become habit-forming causing mental or physical dependence. I have been told that those who have continuing pain should not let the fear of dependence keep them from using narcotics to relieve their pain. Mental dependence is not likely to occur when narcotics are used for this purpose. Physical dependence may develop but can be managed by reducing the dosage gradually. I think you should talk to your son’s doctor about the possible problems considering you have been through dependency problem. I heard that this drug is often abused by medical experts as well.