I know this is sort of a weird question but I was wondering if these antidepressants are going to work if someone is not depressed. I am asking this because I want to use antidepressants although I am not suffering from depression and I am not a depressed person.

I don't know, a friend of mine told me to use antidepressants but I am not depressed at all, but he begged me to do it so I decided to do it, now I am wondering if anyone knows here if these antidepressants can work in some way if I am not suffering from depression?

I wouldn't do it if I were you, if you are not suffering from depression or from anxiety don't take antidepressants, there's no need to.

These will not do you any good if you are not suffering from depression, they are just going to make you go numb and cold. They will definitely work on you as if you were depressed, but depressed people will feel relieved because antidepressants will make their depression go away at least for a while and will make them calm (numb, cold) and it will do the same to you, it will just make you cold and numb.

Don't do it if you are not suffering from depression, there's really no need to. If you want to do it just because someone asked you to, that is so wrong, man. Don't take antidepressants and if you wanted to use them only because of this friend of yours, you should tell him that you already started to use these and that you are feeling better. If you have to lie, then lie, but don't use antidepressants if you are not suffering from depression, they will work on you, of course, but in a bad way, they will do you no good.

But what if I am depressed? I know that this might sound complicated to you and that is normal since all of this is also complicated for me but I don't really know if I am suffering from depression or not. All I know that I have been acting strange lately and I fear that something is wrong but I doubt that it is depression. This is why I wanted to use antidepressants and see if I get any better, if I do, that would mean that I am indeed suffering from depression, this is why I asked you about this.

Why, for the name of Lord you would take antidepressants if you are not depressed? I don't understand that, I am sorry. I am not saying this to make you feel better, but my girlfriend is taking antidepressants as well, even though she hasn't been depressed for years. When I asked her why, she told me that she is doing that because she likes the way how those pills makes her feel. She also told me that she once wanted to quit using antidepressants and she was feeling poor. But I still don't understand that. There must be a way to be happy and to feel good without pills. I was reading one topic in here, and I totally agree with it - antidepressants are not happy pills!

I don't know what to tell you about this, but I once have heard that, generally speaking, taking antidepressants when you're not depressed will make you fell depressed or it will make you be depressed. OK, maybe this is not the case with all antidepressants, but generally it can happen. So, if you can avoid it, you really should. Like you could read from some posts in here, those are not happy pills and you should not think about antidepressants as pills that can make you feel good. I don't know why you would take antidepressants if you are not depressed after all. 

I keep telling this to my girlfriend but she won't listen to me. It is not that good idea to get used on antidepressants in any case - it doesn't matter did you have problems with depression before or you didn't have them at all. Also, it can be very messed up because all medicines can have side effects, and in case if you're sick, you are hoping that medications will improve your current condition, right? Well, the same things can happen with antidepressants and I just can't explain this to her. She won't listen to me. I also do agree that there are so many better ways and many better options than using antidepressants.

Well, I am just saying that I do agree with almost everyone in here, who posted in this topic, and so I agree with you. Antidepressants are used to treat the depression and there is no need to use them if you are not really depressed, there is no need for it. I understand that some people, who don't suffer from depression anymore, just like your GF are afraid that depression will come back if they don't continue with therapy. But that is also a myth, Some people are using it because they believe that antidepressants will make you forget about your current problems. 

Yes, a lot of people think that antidepressants will make them forget about their problems, but that is not true at all. Generally, everyone should know that antidepressants can’t make you forget your problems, but it is true that they may make it easier for you to deal with them. Many therapists report that when their patients take antidepressants, it helps them make more progress in their psychotherapy and I think that this is the problem with your GF as well. Anyway, you should not judge her. Maybe you should convince her to go to the doctor and find another way to treat her fear. Because she is obviously in fear.