Is there any possibility that my house is making me depressed? I never considered this as an option for my constant depression. Whenever I was feeling bad I didn't go out, I loved to stay at home but my depression didn't go away. One day when I was really depressed I decided to go out, to walk and I was feeling much better.

So I started to believe that my house is making me depressed, that I feel like I am homesick while I am at home. Can this be true?

If this is true and if this can happen, what can I do?

Hi mrs Sick and Tired.

There is a huge chance for that, especially if you live alone. Than you don't have a will to go home and whenever you are depressed you don't have anyone to talk with you.

I was living in dorm for a while, I was living alone and those four walls were making me so depressed that I just can't describe you.

Look, when you need to be at home, you really should try to find what makes you feel good there. You just can't avoid your home, right? You need to find way to try something that won't make you feel sick at your home. 

I did it. Trust me. I have tried so many things to do when I am at my home, but nothing helps. Yes, I do live alone since I broke up with my boyfriend and that was the day when my problems generally started. I hate those bricks, those walls. Sometimes I believe that this house has some negative energy or that I need to get ready my house according to some feng shui rules...Trust me, I am that desperate. Maybe I should move out, change it for some smaller apartment? I tied to read, watch some movies, make something but nothing. Depression lives in my house. 

A lot of people do feel depressed at their homes, but I guess that this is a sign that they can be around the people, right? OK, i know that it is not good to be depressed when you are home alone, because you spend your time there and it can be really hard to suffer between your four walls. A lot of depressed people feel uncomfortable when they are around the people, but most of them also feel sad when they are home. You are one of those people. Here is one advice - try not to be paranoid when you are home alone. That can bring even more depression. Find some motivational quotes and put them on the walls of your room. I am sure that this is going to help you. Good luck!

For people who are depressed it is strongly advised that they don't spend much time inside the house and in front of the TV or their PC (laptop). All of the things that I just mentioned can contribute to your depression and can make your symptoms stronger. 

On the other hand, if you are not suffering from depression but you do these things, you are more prone to being depressed than are the people who are not doing these things. This is why the answer to your question is positive: your own house can indeed make you feel depressed (and make you feel homesick as well).

This happened to me once. I didn't want to leave my house and I was just staying there, not leaving my room, eating, watching TV and playing computer games. I felt like I enjoyed it but every next day it seemed that I was just falling deeper into depression and I was afraid that at some point I will not be able to snap out of it so I just changed my lifestyle. I was stuck in my room for about two weeks when I decided not to spend any more time there and I immediately started to feel a bit better.

Do you know what Charles Bukowski said? He said, "'The courage it took to get out of bed each morning to face the same things over and over was enormous". Do you maybe feel the same way, mrs Sick and Tired?
You need to try different things, you need to live with your full lungs, but the first step towards all of this is to get out of the house, this step is sometimes the hardest one. Even I have days when I don't want to get out of my bed or my house, but I do it and I am always happy that I did it.

Your house is definitely making you feel depressed. What can you do? Let's see... how about you leave your house in order to go outside and enjoy the sunshine, meet with friends, have a drink or two, play billiard, go swim in the local pool, play table soccer, go running, go to the movies, go to a party, I have no idea, there are so many options that it would take ages to count them all. This is what you need to do, you need to go outside and do whatever makes you happy, sit in the park and read a book, I don't know.

Yes staying at your home all day makes you depressed.humans by nature are built to have company.i was experiencing depression by staying home all day and thus became disinterested in my work.this happened to inspite of exercise, diet,and so.it can create an empty feeling.when a person works outside,staying home only on Saturday,sunday;you dont feel depressed;but when staying home is the norm;you lose all interest.my suggestion is to go out and do whatever you need to at some other place away from home from morning to about 4pm.it cud be a library and so on.merely being in presence of ppl (as in a library) gives you peace of mind and motivation to do what you need to....