Hello. I love to be around people because that is the only thing that can help me fight my depression. My sister, her husband and my two lovely nieces were at my house with me for three months. I knew it that this day needs to come - the day when they will have to leave my house and move out. And this day happened three days ago. Ever since that, I am sad, I don't feel like I want to do anything and I think that I am depressed because I live alone. No, I am sure that my house is making me depressed. Any possibility? 

Hello there. Yes, you are used to be with a lot of people and kids are very noisy, so I guess that you are missing this as well. But before I answer your question, I really should know one thing. Were you depressed before or this started to happen just now, when you begin to live alone in your house?

I need to know this because it is very important for us to know are you dealing with depression for a while now or you are suddenly depressed because they moved out?

I am sure that this kind of depression will soon go away. 

Hey there Hannah. No, no. I was depressed before. I remember when my sister called me and asked me can they be there with me in my house for a while, because they needed to buy and adapt their new apartment. I was totally for it. While they were there, they were making me happy and I was really happy because they are living with me. At that time, I started to notice that my depression is "shutting down" somehow. I realized that this is because I am happy with my family. Now, they are gone, I am alone and I feel really sad and depressed. How can I change it?

So, you were depressed before and your cure is when you are spending time with your family. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this is called mayor depression, or depression when you are making some huge changes in your life.

This kind of depression can be very dangerous, and if you didn't do it already, you should visit your doctor and let him know what is going on so he can react and prevent some other things to happen. 

You should try to find something that makes you happy in your home because you can't avoid being there...And you know it. 

Hey there Charlesbaby. You need to make some new changes in your life and I am sure that this depression will be controlled as well. Now, you see that you need to be around someone, someone who makes you happy. When this happens, this depression is smaller than before. You should realized that your sister and your nieces won't be in your house forever, and than you should have backup plan. Now, maybe it seems silly for you, but did you ever consider to get a pet? Dog, maybe? It is not silly, trust me. I was in very big depression before and I was thinking that I am not going to survive. But than, for my birthday my friend bought a dog for me. He was my angel and thanks to this amazing creature, I love to spend time at my home, with him.

It's not right, you don't need to be around someone in order to not be depressed. The moment when you conquer depression is when you are not depressed when you are on your own, you don't need anybody in order to be happy. At least this is how it should be, but the studies showed that only 20% of the world's population are completely mentally healthy and I am sure that I am not one of these, we all have our own problems. 

If I were you, I would try out this new medication called ketamine, it is supposed to work great against major depression.

Your house is probably making you feel depressed. It is not just with you, it is the same case with everyone suffering from depression, you don't want to leave your bed when you wake up and even if you manage to get out of bed, you won't want to leave the house because it is pointless, there is no use of doing anything. This is simply how depressed people function and you need to snap out of it in order to fight your depression. Medications can definitely help, the one that Nina mentioned above is awesome, but I would recommend you to talk to a psychologist about this.

It goes the other way around as well. When you are depressed, you don't want to leave the house, you see no point in leaving the house. However, when you are not depressed but you simply want to stay inside the house in order to watch TV or play computer games, this way of life can easily cause you to become depressed so staying inside the house for too long can definitely cause or contribute to the development of depression.

You should usually always try with a psychologist first, then, after consulting with him, you will know what to do next.

My boyfriend had a problem like this. Luckily for him, I already knew a lot about depression because my father was suffering from it so I told him that I think that he is suffering from depression and he took it really well, he said that he knew that there was something wrong and he agreed that he needs professional help, he was very mature. He eventually got better and we continued with our lives like nothing happened.

I guess it is a bit harder for you since you have nobody around but it is just like Nina said, you don't necessarily need anybody, you can do it on your own.

It's the same thing with me, but I am managing to somehow fight my depression. Some days, most of the days, to be honest, I don't really want to get out of my bed at all, neither do I want to leave my house, but I tell myself that I have to do it and that I have to take the dogs outside and once I go outside, I feel awesome, I don't feel depressed anymore at all. I believe that your house is doing to you what mine is doing to me: you just need to go outside and you will feel better, I promise.