Hello, folks. My brother has been having some problems with staphylococcus infection. It seems that he cannot manage it in any way. I would like to know something more about how to deal with this type of infection. Can you tell me something? I will really appreciate it. Thanks for replying.

Hello. Staphylococcus aureus is a Gram positive bacterium. It is mostly related to alimentary intoxication. It can also cause respiratory infections and some skin infections. In a word, it can cause a lot of problems. Many “staphs” are resistant to usual antibiotics. That is why the treatment is not so an easy job. I hope your brother will be all right. Please, let me know some details. Bye!

Good evening. Staphylococci can indeed cause many infections. They are responsible for pneumonia, endocarditis, cellulitis, osteomyelitis, food poisoning, etc. Treatment can be problematic. It is mostly since many types of Staphs can be resistant to penicillin. They are known as MRSA – methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Some other antibiotics must be used in that case. You should consult an expert about this. He will fill you in with the details. Bye!

Hello. Sometimes some strong antibiotics should be used for treating Staph infections. Vancomycin is one of them. Staph can produce an enzyme called beta-lactamase. This enzyme destroys the beta-lactame ring that is the main structure in penicillin. Methicillin is resistant to this beta-lactamase, However, you can see that there are even types of Staph that are resistant to methicillin. Those are MRSA. I hope your brother will be all right. Bye!