My husband is an escessive drinker. I don't know if he is an alcoholic but I think he would be close. My question is, will large amounts of alcohol, drinking every night until he is falling down drunk, make him have major mood swings? When he is not drinking, he is very angry. Lately, he has been angry all the time. The littlest thing sets him off and I can't do anything right. It doesn't matter what I do, he is angry with me. When he drinks, he's mellow for the first few drinks then after about the fourth one he starts being a jerk and it just gets worse until he goes to bed. In the morning, it can sometimes be worse because he's still sort of drunk. I'm just don't know what to do. Thank you. :-( :'(

Hi Jenny, your husband is an alcoholic, period. If you want to continue in this abusive relationship that is certainly up to you, but should you decide to stay you need to set some ground rules. The first one would be that hubby get some counseling.
I was born and raised with an entire flock of drunken falling down freaks and it hurt a lot thru my childhood. Now being an adult, i stay far away from drinkers. I don't hate those that partake but i just as soon not. When i do go out on a toot, 2 drinks and i'm "see ya"
Anyway....you need to choose right now. How much do you love him, the man? Do you care enough to really push the AA thing?
I got news for you, he won't stop on his own.
He is mean while he's sober because he is jonesin for that drink, then he gets beer muscles when he's drunk and throws his weight around.
If he is not willing to help fix his own problem then the question is, how much can you take?
Been there, done that, hate it. You would be better off by yourself.

I second everything BB said.
If you are ever afraid, get out before you get hurt!!!!!!!
They like to say he will have to hit bottom before he decides to get help. To me that's like saying that something you lost is always in the last place you look for it. Of course it is, you stop looking after you find it.

He will stop when he finally decides to and he is the one who has to make that decision or it won't work.
I put my wife through 15 years of Hell before I quit.

Sober since 1981

Get him evaluated, there are deeper issues that you have no control over, yet, why should you be the lucky recipient. See if you can get him to a psych, clearly there are deeper issues. I wish you luck, I am at this pint myself.