Hi, I have chronic sinus infection, every winter I catch a cold and my sinuses stay inflamed for much longer. Should I use antibiotic for sinus infection? Antibiotics are worthless in cold.

Hi, I use antibiotic Augmentin for sinus infection. But what is an effective treatment for one doesn’t have to be effective for the other. Antibiotics are able to kill bacteria, so if sinus symptoms are due to bacterial infection, then antibiotics reasonable choice. If symptoms are caused by a cold, antibiotics are of no help, since it is a viral infection. The misuse and overuse of antibiotics has contributed to an development of resistance to many antibiotics. Therefore, it is important that you do not treat a viral cold with an antibiotic. You should do a biogram to determine the most effective antibiotic in your case. Inhalations would also be beneficial to you.