After a sinus infection on Christmas 2006, my teeth or gums have been hurting daily ever since. At first I thought it was tooth pain, later it felt like my gums were burning. It is always all of my upper teeth/gums and sometimes all or only some of my lower teeth as well. It is not there in the morning but starts gradually about an hour after I wake up and then it is there all day.

I have seen my dentist twice to rule out a dental problem and I am now using Sensodyne toothpaste, which has not made a difference. I have also had a sinus CT scan done and I no longer have a sinus infection.

I have had one other sinus infection in my life in October 2005, and after that one I started having almost daily migraines. The migraine pain has been reduced due to a daily dose of Topamax, and I take either DHE or Maxalt if the pain gets too bad (never within 24 hours of each other). There are about 9-10 days a month I take one of these.

Last week I saw the neurologist I was referred to and it didn’t seem like he believed me. He told me to stop using the DHE and Maxalt for a month and if I still had the tooth pain to call him and he would do an MRI. He did say that he doubt he’d see anything on the MRI. He also said I didn’t have migraines, but my headaches did not respond to Advil or Tylenol but they did respond to DHE and Maxalt.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what this might be I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.

My wife has a very similar problem. She also had a sinus infection and she also just had some fillings put in.

I have the exact same symptoms. What do your headaches feel like? What part of the head? Have you been diagnosed with anything yet?

I had this for years... It Is a bacterial sinus problem that Is set of by the cold virus. It Is one of the most miss under stood problems we face. Sinus and brain infections seem to go hand and hand. So really think about It... all that mucus you spit and cough out... It can cause A series a problems. The truth is we have sinus cavities everywhere... our doctors do not like to tell you that. Sinus drainage can come from the brain... then drains into the main sinus cavities... then cause chaos. Anything that drips from the brain will end up in your sinus cavity. Good luck!

I am twenty one years old and am having the same exact problems.. burning gums allll day and are gradually receeding as well.... do you have a metallic baking soda taste in your mouth as well?

I have the same symptoms as described... except for my gums are receding as well... extreme gum pain is not cool.. i also have a bad taste in my mouth>> like a metallic baking soda taste... are any of yall experiencing the same problem? what did you do to get better? thanks alot

I hope you haven't listened to any of the other posts. They are idiots. I have been suffering with the same burning pain in my mouth for years. I had been to several dentists and periodontist who said they saw nothing wrong. Ive had bone scans mri's and CT scans done by all kinds of doctors. I even went to mexico and had all my teeth pulled and that didn't help either. I came back from mexico and at first I thought I had this c**p called NICO (neuralgia inducing cavitational osteonecrosis) which is total quackery. After all the money and loss of my beautiful teeth I finally figured out what I had after doing research on the internet about periodontal diseases. It was Trench Mouth AKA acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis. I am so upset with the dentists. All I needed was antibiotics!! I have contacted lawyers who are willing to help me with the matter but that doesn't help me get my teeth back . If you have trench mouth it takes 2 different antibiotics at the same time to kill the disease. Amoxicillin clavulanate AKA Augmentin 250mg+ Metronidazole AKA Flagyl 250mg 3X a day for 7 days. I hope this will help you. You can get these online. If you want more info for the treatment for this disease check google Hopkins Antibiotics Guide.

So have the antibiotics helped, your no longer in pain? The dentist and periodontist both say that from the look of things my gums look healthy, but they continually hurt and burn causing headaches daily, this along with a metalic baking soda taste in the back of my mouth, is this similar to what you were experiencing?? Please email me at
Thanks, adam

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Try tooth soap. It has help me a little. As far as I know I have not had any sinus infection but I know what you mean about burning gums. I had one tooth pulled I should of never had it pulled and 4 wisdom teeth thinking it might help to no avail. I am not to happy with dentists either. They seem to be clueless. Never had any infection they can see. I did have resorption of one tooth, but that could of been left in as far as I am concern cause it made it burn and itch more after the extraction. I do have few mercury fillings but they never bothered me so I don't know. Going to get muscle tested for allergies to metals.

did your problems ever resolve? It is possible your problems were dental but I think it slightly more likely they were neurological especially as nothing was seen on exam. There are some treatments which are helpful for nerve pain. If that"s what it is, those treatments will work much better than standard pain medications (including narcotics).

I have a relative who suffered sinus and gums hurting then it was cough after that he started going death in one year he was diagnosed with ear bugs after four years all clear now !

I have had and am still recovering from a severe sinus infection which has lasted for 4 months now. After 2 weeks of suffering I went to see my doctor who prescribed antibiotics but they did not work and the infection continued. Last week I started to get terrible pain in my teeth (particularly on the top jaw on both sides) which rendered me unable to chew on very much because this just made the pain worse. I went to see my dentist who took an xray and diagnosed ANUG or Acute necrotizing ulcerative ginivitis. He asked me if I had been suffering or had recently suffered with a sinus infection. He told me that very often a sinus infection can be the cause of this and if left untreated it will cause a whole host of issues including tooth loss!! I have been prescribed with two different types of antibiotics to be taken for 7 days and have taken 3 days off work as the antibiotics along with the sinus infection etc have completely zapped my energy. I thank god I have a bright dentist who picked up on this straight away!

Been suffering with the same thing since Feb. 2009. I have seen dentists, neurologists, ENT, pain doctors. Have had meds, nerve blocks, natural supplements, brain laser surgery, acupuncture, sinus surgery, MRI's, CT scans, etc. Diagnosed with migraines, trigeminal neuralgia, atypical facial neuralgia, sinus problems, sleep apnea, bruxism, and only God knows what else. My pain is only on one side (left side). Had a root canal done in the upper left quadrant on back molars years ago that was never done correctly and have been suffering ever since. I also use essential oils on my face (tea tree oil) and magnesium oil and find some relief if only temporary. Oh yes, I was also told my magnesium level is low which could be a contributing factor. I do the sinus rinses with the neti pot and sometimes get relief albeit only temporary. My biggest hunch is between the root canal gone bad and the teeth grinding at night. I have a custom made appliance made by my dentist that I use at night while sleeping to help with the teeth grinding. Good luck and feel better.

.

I have problems with my gums burning too. My dentist didn't find anything wrong either but gave me a prescription mouthwash which doesn't work. I'd decided to make an appointment with my family doctor then I found your post. Wonder what caused this to happen anyway? I do know I had two gum graft surgeries in July 2015. I didn't begin having this problem until after that. Thank you so much for posting all your information!

It's most likely allergies. Prior to my allergies acting up, my gums feel like it's on fire. I also had the same issue when I developed sinusitis.