I've been reading about chronic anxiety because I was interested to know more about it, I love learning more about people and their behavior, and I found this disorder to be really interesting. However, I have noticed that chronic anxiety can cause tinnitus and hypersensitivity to sound, I read this in more than one article and I was wondering if anyone here knows why and how is this possible. I tried to search for this information on the internet and in this book I have but I came to a dead end, no info about this at all, maybe someone here might know?

I never really thought about it neither did I ever read anything about it, but I think that you can come to a conclusion here by yourself if you would just think about it.

You know what anxiety is (chronic anxiety is even worse) and you know that the people who are suffering from anxiety are nervous pretty much all the time. It is very likely for them to be annoyed by any type of sound, sometimes even the ones they like. After being exposed to the sound they don't like, they are likely to end up being hypersensitive to sound and develop tinnitus.

This Guest person has a good point here. People who are suffering from anxiety tend to be more sensitive to literally everything including the sounds which could easily irritate them. It happens even more often and more intense if you are stressed out at the moment when you hear any kind of sound. People with tinnitus say that the things get a lot worse when they want to go to sleep, even the slightest sound can make them anxious and make them panic. I don't know, people suffering from anxiety are simply more prone to being hypersensitive to sound and to suffer from tinnitus.

I see. I was kind of thinking the same way but I am always unsure about the things that I think are actually true, that is why I am always looking for someone else's opinion and their perspective. It is no big deal for me to study from books and stuff like that but when it comes to making conclusions and stuff like that, I am so unsure about everything. I don't know if this is symptom of any disorder, I hope not. Anyway, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, I had some problems with anxiety myself a few years ago.

I am suffering from anxiety and I can say that I have this sensibility as well. But generally I have learned that my tinnitus is even worse if I am stressed about something and it doesn't really matter about what I am stressed. Also, sometimes I have this weird thing and I can almost swear that I hear more than one sound at a time. It is nothing weird for healthy people I guess, but it is for me. When it comes to my tinnitus, I can say that it is always worse when I’m trying to get to sleep and that is usually when I get anxious. I don't know what else to tell you about this, except that this is very annoying and that I would like that I can stop this sometimes. But I can't, at least not for now.

Hi. Honestly, I have no idea why this happens. I have heard this and I have heard it from people who have problem with chronic anxiety. All that I do know about this is that this type of anxiety is worse than ever. I have one friend and she is talking about this very normal. She also is going to the therapies and she has no problem with it. She told me that she is feeling much better after she talks to someone who is an expert. Anyway, one day we were talking about this and she told me that she has serious hypersensitivity to sounds, especially during the night. I also believe that this is because all people who are diagnosed with anxiety are sensible to almost everything.

Hi guys. Definitely! People with anxiety and especially with chronic anxiety, are more tend to be extremely sensitive to certain things. So, they can be sensitive to sound as well. Any kind of sound. Anyway, stress and anxiety are two triggers of tinnitus, so if patient with chronic anxiety is a high  -strung very often they will find that not only do you hear tinnitus, but you also may have hear a lot of different sounds in the same time, just like Guest from previous post already wrote.

I never was so into this topic until last two years. 

Nice topic out there Eating Boss. I was reading about this a long time ago, but I forget about it. Actually, I was reading about this when I believed that I have problem with chronic anxiety. Tnx God that was not problem in my case, so I totally forgot about this.

Anyway, the things are like this -  when you are anxious all the time or most of your time, it doesn't really make a lot of sense, your body becomes stuck in this fight or flight mode as doctors says. That stage in your life usually includes acute hearing. The result of this is that you can actually perceive certain sounds to that can be annoying. You can hear a lot of sounds. If you ask me, it can be cracking, just like fireworks.