A good friend of mine has been diagnosed with anxiety and just one day ago he told me that it is possible for people with anxiety to get tinnitus. I didn't know what it is, if he explained it well to me, it is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears.

I told him that he is talking nonsense and that these two things aren't connected. Well, he eventually told me that if he was to believe me, I need to find some sort of proof. So here I am, asking you good people if anyone knows if anxiety can cause tinnitus.

Hey Friend,

Many things can cause tinnitus and tinnitus is certainly more common when you age. But anxiety and stress have been strongly linked to the development of temporary and permanent tinnitus, and the two have a complex relationship that science is still trying to understand.

It's so important to see a doctor if somebody's life is hampered by tinnitus. It's a complicated condition and while it's rarely dangerous, it still warrants medical attention. But if someone has anxiety and he notices that he has started to experience more severe tinnitus, chances are anxiety is the culprit. So yes, it is possible.

Hey Gaia,

To be honest with you, I didn't really expect to hear an answer like that. I was expecting something like "No way, are you crazy, you can't get tinnitus from anxiety". Now I have to tell my friend that I found out that he was actually right, at least he will be glad that he was right but he is going to freak out because now he will know for sure that he can get tinnitus and that he won't be making it up in his head if he happens to get it. Thanks for nothing, Gaia (it is a joke, I'm not being rude).

Well, it wouldn't be nice of you if you were rude and I just helped you out anyway, but there are people who do that, so if you didn't write that it was a joke, I would honestly have thought that you are being serious, unthankful, and disrespectful.

That aside, are you sure that it is smart for you to tell your friend that he can get tinnitus because of his anxiety? If you tell him that it is impossible, there is a chance that he will take that as a fact and regarding how important is what people think, he will definitely not get it.

Hello everyone. First of all, I am really sad to hear this. I really hope that your friend is going to be ok. Next, I will try to answer your question. I don't really think so. I don't think that anyone could prove that somewhere is possible that anxiety can cause tinnitus. Of course, maybe I am wrong. There is a possibility that your system was weakened at some point, but I don't believe that stress ALONE can cause it. I am telling you this because I do know a lot of people who are really stressed, but they are not dealing with tinnitus and that is why I don't believe that they are connected at all. I think that there is some other reason.

Hey there. I need to join this as I don't understand what you haven't expected her to tell you? That is a normal human reaction on your question and she has a point. I don't know why you are offended with it. You know how I would accept this answer - OK, I am not OK but she is trying to tell me that I should seek for another reason of it. I also do agree that this doesn't make a sense because I don't believe that constant anxiety can cause it. You should not take it to your heart - we are just trying to give you an advice and tell you how things really are....

Good day there.
Maybe, but I am not sure. That is why I need to tell that I don't agree totally with you guys. Maybe it is not connected, but according to my experience it looks like that it can be. You know how I get this idea? Well, when I am feeling a little bit down or so - so sometimes it happens to me that I have some anxiety attacks and that is why my tinnitus rise. I had panic attacks in the past, but it is over. It was like 5 to 7 years old, I am not sure,but who can tell that this is not a reason that I am having anxiety attacks now. So I believe that in some point it can be cause, but I am not sure can anyone tell about this for sure...