I am 18 years old and I think I have developed an anxiety disorder from smoking weed. I had 2 small puffs of weed from when I was in my early eighteens and I got a bit high but not much at all. I was with some good friends and the effects of being high wore off. When I joined University I smoked less than half a blunt and I started to shake and my heart was beating very quickly. I could tell this was a bad panic attack and I felt like I was fighting for my life. I had to go to sleep to calm myself down. The next day I felt fine, I had a shower and continued with my life. However, three days later when I went to my friends university corridor and knocked on it to let me in I smelt a tiny bit of weed and I started to panic again. I had to lay on my bed and I missed two days of lectures. For another three days I came out of my room but I still felt too anxious. I have moments when I can feel in my head an aderaline rush which is how the panic attacks start. These moments have started to die down but now every time someone mentions weed or I see or smell it I instantly panic and I don't want to do anything (Almost having a panic attack). I feel as though I get better every week but this has been going on for a month. I went to my GP but she said I had nothing physically wrong with me.

What can I do to improve my condition. Will it get better? I am generally quite a shy guy and I think I couldn't tolerate it. None of my friends who have smoked weed have had this feeling and they smoke it quite a bit whereas I have barely had any. 

Hi James! Your GP is probably right when he says there's nothing physically wrong with you. Actually the words right and wrong are not the best when talking about panic attack. I believe that you are not psychologically feeling well. And then the best thing is talk to a psychologist about it. panic attacks can be very scaring. In the meantime, until you see one, avoid completely being around people smoking weed, or situation where people do it. It is not something for you for sure. And if you think that you have done something wrong when you smoke it, forget about it, and just go on and don't do it anymore. Maybe if you are convinced you are not going to try it anymore your panic will disappear. But I'm not a psychologist.

Thanks for the reply, it makes it worse when I unexpectedly walked past a guy who had just had a joint and that triggered higher anxiety levels. I'm going to see a psychologist about it.