Hello everyone,

I'm kind of new on this website, I read your posts from time to time and I have to say that I learned a lot of things from this place.

Now, a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with dilated aorta arch. Apparently, he went to do some tests, he did ECG if I'm not mistaken and when the doctor got his results, he told him that he has dilated aorta arch.

Neither one of us knows anything about this matter so I was hoping that you could help me. I'm interested to know about causes and risk factors of dilated aorta arch.

Hello Bee,

Glad to have you here with us.

This is a very serious condition. It is hardly noticeable, in most cases, it is noticed only when the aorta ruptures and if it isn't treated at that very moment, the person dies.

The well known causes of this condition are hardening of the arteries, genetic conditions, problems with your heart aortic valve, an untreated infection, traumatic injury or some other medical conditions like inflammatory conditions, such as giant cell arteritis or Takayasu arteritis.

I believe that age and smoking are the biggest risk factors for this matter. If you stop smoking, you'll greatly reduce your chances of getting this condition.

Hi you two,

Your friend is very lucky if he was diagnosed with this condition. Dilated aorta arch isn't something that is easily diagnosed, it is usually noticed unintentionally or only after it ruptures. Since its rupture means almost certain death, I'm telling you again, your friend is very, very lucky.

I agree with Health n Joy when it comes to causes for this matter, and I also agree when it comes to risk factors. Smoking is known to be the biggest risk factor of dilated aorta arch. If you ask any doctor about prevention of dilated aorta arch, he'll tell you to start by stopping smoking.

Hi everyone,

This isn't something to play with, I'm telling you this from my own experience.

It is definitely a thing that cannot be easily diagnosed so I'll agree with Stradivarius when he says that your friend is very lucky.

My aorta arch ruptured a few years back and I was immediately taken to the emergency room. My doctor told me later that if I had arrived there one minute later, I wouldn't have made it.

Like they told you already, it is very important for your friend to stop smoking (if he is a smoker), it's going to help him a lot. You can always ask your doctor about more info regarding this matter.

Hello everyone,

I happen to have a friend who died because of his dilated aorta arch so I can say that I have a pretty bad experience when it comes to this condition.

It is indeed very, very dangerous. My friend's aorta ruptured and there was nobody around him when it happened, he was home alone so he had no chance, unfortunately.

As far as I know, a healthy life can help a lot if you want to lower your chances of getting this condition. No smoking, like they said, no alcohol, and a healthy diet. Smoking is a dangerous risk factor.

Good day Bee. First, welcome in here. I am sure that you will find a lot of helpful advice for you and for someone who needs our help.

Like others told you it can be very dangerous.

At this time I believe that no one knows exactly how this develop or progress but it is possible to find the main cause and to improve the treatment options.

But I am almost sure that when you have problems with it it doesn’t have to mean that you need to go to the surgery immediately.

Maybe some medicine will be just enough.

Hello. Well the incidence of aortic disease is expected to rise with the increasing of age of the population. My mom’s friend had problem with this aorta and as far as I remember that she never had any symptoms (I believe that someone has mentioned this in here). She find out about this by accident. Well it was a little bit late when she found out about this because her disease was pretty much ongoing. I think that she still has some bad things with her health because of it. It is very dangerous condition and I am sure that it can cause the death as well.

Hey Make Me coffee.

You explained this very well. I wrote before that this doesn’t have to mean you need to go to the surgery immediately. Well I met one friend of mine from the high school and she told me that she had dilated aorta arch. And guess what? She needed to have the surgery immediately. A first couple of days she was feeling depressed and she was in pain, but very soon she was feeling much, much better. So my point is if the surgery is the only option, you should do it without having a fear.

I disagree. I didn’t tell that surgery is the only option. Surgery is not the only option. Sometimes it is necessary, that is true. But it is rare. Surgery is required when the aneurysm has reached the certain size or even when it is rupture. Also, it is required when aortic dissection is detected. But you need to be aware that aortic arch surgery is very complex operation and that requires heart – lung bypass. So think twice when someone tell you that this surgery is not that hard and complicated and that everything is going to be ok.

Adequate blood pressure control is necessary all the time with all patients. There are so many risks such as : bleeding, stroke, damage to spinal cord, etc. 

Make Me coffee, I am sorry. My bad because I was pretty sure that you were telling that surgery is the only option. I know that in some cases is necessary but sometimes there is a way to treat this with some kind of therapy. I already told you that a friend of mine had surgery but that isn't the only option.

If you want to treat yourself you should stop drinking alcohol and smoking (of course if you are a smoker and drinker). Those are the worse things that you can do for your body. Try to live nice, healthy lifestyle.