I started tanning in the salon about two weeks ago. I already have my base tan and am up to 20 minutes in the bed. A few days ago i noticed an area on my back that got itchy every now and then. Today i noticed a few bumps, maybe 4 or 5 and it is still itchy. It is near and sort of on a "pressure spot" near my shoulder blade. Is this from tanning and will it go away? It has not spread at all, it is just one spot with some itchy bumps.

I just went back to the tanning salon for the 1st time since last summer. I went 10 minutes in the stand up level 1 and didn't burn. A few hours later I noticed I was itching and was developing a hive like rash on my entire trunk area. It's been 4 days now and has spread to my arms and legs. Small itchy bumps and some are bright red. Maybe from me inadvertently rubbing them cause they itch. I took benadryl twice yesterday and no relief. This Is my 3rd year tanning and i've never had any kind of reaction before. I'm not on any meds either. Anyone got a clue on how long this can last or why its happening to me? :-(

I am experiencing the same problem! I have tanned for many years off and on. I quit for about 6 months, then last week I tanned and I developed tiny skin colored and red bumps. Some are very hard to see unless im in the right light. I have read that this can be from many causes.. maybe a new tanning lotion, or maybe the chemical they use to clean the bed.. or even if the bed wasn't cleaned properly. I also heard some people could be allergic to UV rays, but im assuming since we have both tanned many times before this isn't the case. I took benadryl for 2 days and also had no results. I am going to the doctor Monday so If my doctor lets me know anything else I'll post! Also I should add that I was trying a new tanning lotion and may have had a reaction to that.

I ended up going to the doctor after over a week of the rash spreading and itching. He prescribed prednisone 10mg which cleared it up in 2 days. I believe it was the tanning lotion that I had left from last year. Supra brand with bronzers. I threw it away and haven't had a problem since. Just started tanning this year for vacation and i'm just fine.