anyone got experience with one of these?

yes

yes
ok what do I need to look for in a good one? will the one form Mc Home Despot work ok or do we need one put in by pros

I've got a buddy that installs these, so we got one 'from the pros'. I can't remember what the pitch was, but I was convinced. I think it has to do with the volume those retail ones can put out. So check that out. Can you fill a gallon jug? Our's is a 1.5-gall tank and can output something like 5-gall a day.
RO water is the way to go. Aquafina or whatever bottled water you buy is exactly the same, so why not buy the unit? It really has paid for itself easily and the water quality is incredible.

what happens to the 'stuff' removed by the RO process?

Here is all the information you will need.

The best bet is to soften the water first to remove the minerals, this will lengthen the lift of your filters. if you are worried about bacteria and what not, you will want UV light on the system to kill them little buggers.

The sediment is generally kept with the filter banks, and discarded when they are replaced. I bought a system from these people and they were great to work with and the install was a breeze.

Remember the throughput of the system is determined by the temperature of your water as well, the colder it is, the slower the throughput. Also your water pressure will affect throughput. This system functions off of water pressure, if you have a well with little to no water pressure you will need to add a pump.

Here is all the information you will need. The best bet is to soften the water first to remove the minerals, this will lengthen the lift of your filters. if you are worried about bacteria and what not, you will want UV light on the system to kill them little buggers. The sediment is generally kept with the filter banks, and discarded when they are replaced. I bought a system from these people and they were great to work with and the install was a breeze. Remember the throughput of the system is determined by the temperature of your water as well, the colder it is, the slower the throughput. Also your water pressure will affect throughput. This system functions off of water pressure, if you have a well with little to no water pressure you will need to add a pump.

We don't have reverse osmosis but we do have the UV light system to kill bacteria before it gets to us. So we don't have to worry about dead critters above our water source, which is our spring.

I use a chrome reverse throzzle eductor. :mrgreen: