Can anyone honestly tell the difference between, tap, filtered tap water,individual bottled (16 oz)and bulk bottle water (2 gallon jugs)?

I sure can't and my wife has now said that the filtered tap water isn't good enough for her so we have to buy bottled water in the smaller individual sizes.

wouldn't it be cheaper to put a water cooler in your kitchen and buy it in those big 5 gallon jugs? plus I think they make the dispensers so you can have it hot or cold.

Our tap water tastes awful here and my Brita doesn't seem to help it at all. So, we are left to buying bottled water. It would be cheaper if we just got the large jugs delivered.

One thing my dental hygenist mentioned: There's usually not flouride added to bottled water that you normally get in the stores. So, if you have kids, make sure you get the kind with the flouride in it (I know of one brand that has it). She said you can ask for flouride in the large jugs delivered as well. I had never thought of it until it was mentioned. It really helps the little one's teeth.

That's my two sense.

Believe it or not, NYC tap water is excellent. The water at my mothers house on LI is not as tasty.

That being said, I would not ever by bottled water for my home, (even if I lived on LI). I can think of about a thousand other things I would rather waste my money on :P

You're so lucky Monk25. I wish we could save the money for other things myself.

same here - the tap water in my home is tastes different from my shore home

I have a water filter in my house so most of my water is as good or better than bottled anyway.
I notice the taste difference between other people's houses and even bottled water.

Here goes...
Tap waters.. well it's outta the tap really, though, if it's city water, it meets a municipal maximum for grains of hardness and minerals.

Tap filtered.. does very little actually. The charcoal or fabric filter will take out some additional minerals or flavor, but changes the composition of the water little.

Bulk bottle.. often those jugs at the grocery are simply tap water from somewhere else. Probably somewhere else where the water tastes better than your city.

Bottled water.. here's where the rubber meets the road. Most bottle water is "reverse osmosis" (RO). This process gets out the minerals, any remaining hardness and flavors. That's why it's such a tasty treat. Some of the bulk bottles might be RO, so read the labels. Often the "fill your own" taps at the grocer are RO, so that's the same as any of the spendy individual servings you might buy.

Bottomline.. If you buy any kind of water in any kind of quantity, I'd say go for the home-installation of a RO unit. We did that..about $1000 and the water that comes out of it differs nothing in composition from any of the costly little bottles in the store. I honestly think it'll pay for itself in just a couple years, not to mention how much better cooking and other beverages are with it. Big :thumbsup: to the RO unit from the jrjo family

Our water is terrible tasting where I live. I have installed a filter and that really helps. As Jrjo said it doesn't remove the hardness but it does remove a lot of the chemicals and off flavors. My next step would be to put in an RO unit. I have seen these as cheap as $600.

I can definitely taste the difference between Filtered water and RO water.

The tap water in Lexington, KY has to be the grossest evah. It actually has an odor. :umno: Besides that water, I really can't tell a difference. I drink tap water, except at work where they give us Evian.

We have very good tap water. I usually drink it somewhat filtered, like out of the front of the refrigerator, but I have no problems drinking it straight from the tap.

We also have a reverse osmosis system installed in our house. It is awesome!!

No need to buy bottled water, ever. Just fill er up in the kitchen.

Although we do buy bottled water when away from home.

same as with with me, i just also installed a new water filter to my tank water, and it works bro! :D
_________________
Everpure Filters