Hi, I am very scared and worried. My child was just diagnosed with diabetes type 1. This came as a surprise, nobody in our family has this condition. The doctor said that my son will have to have insulin injections for the rest of his life. Why is this happening to him? Could you tell me something more about this condition? How will diabetes type 1 change my ten years old son's life?

Hi, I am very sorry about your son. However, you should not despair, but be strong so you could help your son. Type 1 diabetes is a condition caused by the autoimmune reaction. Your son's immune system sees the pancreas cells that produce insulin as a threat and acts against them. When these cells were destroyed, your son's body was no longer capable of turning glucose into energy, so blood glucose levels started to go up. This is type 1 diabetes. There are some hereditary factors involved in the development of the condition, but you don't have to have a family history of type 1 diabetes in order to develop the illness. It is just a bad combination of genes and environmental conditions. The insulin injections are necessary for the glucose levels to be kept under control. Besides them, you will have to make changes in your son's diet as well. Your life is definitely going to change, but you should have hope. You are not helping your son at all by stressing out about the situation. In time you will all get used to the new situation. Your son will be able to have a normal life if he follows his doctor's orders.