I know that Type 1 diabetes is the type of diabetes that was previously referred to as juvenile diabetes before, but I was wondering how often Type 1 diabetes is diagnosed in toddlers? What is the youngest age at which diabetes can be diagnosed? Can someone be diabetic right from birth? Or is it something that starts developing with the introduction of solid foods, or even later?

Hi lacie, in answer to your question, yes children can be diabetic right from birth, but it is usually not the classic Type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the pancreas and kills off the insulin producing beta cells. The most common cause of diabetes in children under the age of 6 months is a monogenic (caused by one gene) diagnosis, which is what my kids have. Type 1 diabetes can be diagnosed as young as 7 months old, but it is very rare and more likely to happen after the first year of life. I hope this helps.