Hi, I have returned from my holiday two days ago. I am still recovering from consequences of sunburns. All of my life I have never had any trouble with sun tanning. But this last time I got sunburns. I have no idea how this happened. After the first day my skin was red and my back was covered with blisters. I got fever and I was in a lot of pain. I went to see a doctor and he told me that I suffered second degree sunburns. Are these second degree sunburns dangerous?

Hi, I can understand that you were surprised when you got sunburns, considering that you never had this kind of problem before. There are many factors that contributed to this situation. I am sure that you are aware of the constant damage done to the ozone layer. Because of this more ultraviolet sunlight is able to travel to earth. These rays cause sunburns. Another reason for your problem might be the fact that you didn't use the adequate sun protection factor suncream. Also if you spent too much time sun tanning the sunburns could not have been avoided. Second degree sunburns are very dangerous. When I was younger, I regularly spent my holidays with sunburns. My mother could not keep me out of the water, so the sunburns were inevitable. The most dangerous thing that could happen with second degree sunburns is the breakage of the blisters. The skin underneath could get infected. Basically, if you get sunburned ones or twice, the dangers are not that great. But, if you experience more frequent sunburns the dangers of developing skin cancer are significantly greater. So, follow the doctor's orders and try to avoid further skin damage.

yes, deep second degree burns can be dangerous.

if it's a large area, on the face, perineum/genitals or involves the full circumference of a limb you should have a doctor examine it.