Hello, folks. I have just returned from the swimming pool and I have noticed extensive sunburns. My sister who goes to medical school tells me that I have possibly second degree burns. I wonder whether I should see a doctor regarding this matter or not. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Hello. Superficial second degree burns can be treated maybe without a doctor. Deep ones, however, can’t. But I am not sure whether you can decide which ones you have. In any case, I think you should go to a doctor’s. If the burns are extensive, for example more than 2 inches in diameter, then visit to the doctor is a must! If you have blisters, you should also look for professional help. Some experts say that blisters should stay untouched, others claim that blisters should be perforated. Doctor will prescribe you antibiotics to prevent an infection. Go to your doctor and he will know what to do. Good luck!

the full depth of a burn, or sunburn, isn't evident until several hours after the insult (sun exposure here). if you just came in from the pool and see red already, it will be worse in a few hours.

if you notice blisters and swelling coming on, a trip to a doctor is advisable - especially if you're in pain. blisters may be filled with fluid. but don't open them up.

sunburn, even over a massive area of the body, usually doesn't require a visit to the doctor. just keep the effected areas clean, dry and out of the sun.