Hi, I have a question about sunburns. I have experienced this condition a few times as a mild skin redness that passed after a couple of days. But, my friend says that she has had sunburn burns that have caused aches and severe pain and fever. I am wondering if this degree of sunburn is really possible. I have a hard time believing to my friend that this can happen when you sun tan.

Hi, there are several degrees of sunburns. You have experienced the mild form, but the situation that your friend has described is very possible. My sister has very pale skin. Usually, people like her have higher chance for severe sunburns. You see too much exposure to the ultraviolet sunrays can have serious consequences for people like my sister. During one of our summer holidays, she burned her skin to the degree when blister appeared on some part of her body. So you can see that the sunburns can be as serious as any kind of burns. My sister was in a lot of pain for two days. And when the pain and the blisters were gone some scares remained. After this experience, she decided to protect herself more seriously. But have in mind that no matter how severe the burn is, it leaves permanent consequences on your skin. So even though you were lucky enough not get serious burns, the ones you have described are not to be disregarded.