Hi, something strange is going on with my skin when I try to expose it to sunlight. I would very much like to get some suntan, but whenever I try to sunbathe I always get sunburns. But, besides the sunburns I also develop additional skin rash. Because of this reaction to sunlight I have decided to try solarium. Even after five minutes my skin started to itch and broke out in rash. Why is this happening? Should I consider going to the doctor's?

Hi, based on the symptoms you have described, I would say that you have an allergic reaction to sunlight. This condition is not that uncommon. I suffer from it too. My skin is very pale and I always get sunburns if I expose my skin to sunlight during summer. I don't even sunbathe, a regular walk for half an hour is enough for my skin to turn red and itchy. The fundamental thing by which an allergic reaction differs from the regular sunburn is the rash. If you were not allergic to sunlight the rash would not appear. I found out about my condition when I went to see my doctor after a particularly severe rash reaction. I have tried a visit to a solarium in order to achieve that tan, but the only thing I got was a rash. I thought that the sun tanning machine was not clean enough and that because of that I have developed my rash. The doctor did some tests and told me that the rash was caused because of my allergy and not the lack of hygiene in the salon. The ultraviolet rays of tanning machines are the same as the sun's so the allergic reaction in our cases cannot be avoided in the solariums either. You should definitely pay a visit to your doctor, because he will estimate the intensity of your allergic reaction and prescribe you medications, because in some cases the drugs are necessary.