Just wondering.

I have heard of a dog that caught and ate one.

The more than 200 woodpecker species are listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act.

So that particular pile of dog poo will be Federal Property. :|

not all...

not all...
that was one of my favorite cartoon shows when I was a kid...

Yes, all woodpeckers are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Migratory Birds and active nests are protected from harm or harassment by the MBTA (see
https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php).
Common birds like eagles, hawks, geese, crows, woodpeckers, and songbirds are protected. You can report suspected violations of wildlife law by calling 1-844-FWS-TIPS. I'm not sure you can report the dog (the owner maybe), but you can certainly report people, landscaping companies, and tree removal companies, etc. that destroy active nests or harm the birds.

not all...
that was one of my favorite cartoon shows when I was a kid... liar, you watched it yesterday.

liar, you watched it yesterday. ok then...kidlet

Songbird? The woodpeckers around here don't have what could be considered songs. But you probably don't care so much about that as you do the endangered status, eh? Yes, there are some woodpeckers that are listed as endangered. Not all, but some. In fact, the ivory-billed woodpecker made the news last year. They've been listed as extinct, but there was a reported sighting...in Arkansas, was it? There are others (the red-cockaded woodpecker) which are endangered, but they're not to be found in this neck of the woods.

i'd think they'd fall under percussionist classification. :P

PUt it this way.... they aren't classified as a game bird.... and there isn't an open season on them.

There have been sightings of ivory-billed in Louisiana and maybe Mississippi too.

:umno: Not in Ohio any longer. I'm just sayin.

Yes, I've heard the news about the sightings and the attempts at confirmation.
And no...no sighting of the ivory-billed in Buckeye Land. :cry: But I did make a rare sighting of a snow bunting here a few years ago!
Unless the woodpecker was a pileated, it probably wasn't much of a meal...and those pileateds are about the size of a crow.

How'd the dog climb the tree?

/just wonderin'

How'd the dog climb the tree? /just wonderin'
Good question!! My guess is: the tree was really short/small or the woodpecker was a yellow-shafted flicker. It isn't unusual for flickers to be on the ground, unlike almost all other woodpeckers.