This post is an extension of the
Strange spongy white object in stool thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

i've been having this issue as well, same orangey bean pod things. i had also noticed before passing them i had had an odd, almost antiseptic odor which seems to have gone away since. any one have experience with this?

I too have been having difficulty with these waxy, yellow, bean shaped masses in my stool. I have noticed them for months. I do not take Metformin or any similar medication.
Research I have done has left me with the understanding that these objects, referred to as casein curds, are a result of fat or protein indigestion. This makes sense in my case because I have pancreas problems and have had digestion problems for years.
If anyone else has had testing or doctors diagnosis conflicting with my research, I would appreciate your posting the results.

Guest 12/30/08 mentions "an odd, almost antiseptic odor.' First mention I've seen of that. I have the floating beige/white chicklets as others have described. Am on time release Wellbutrin (and a few other meds). I, too, have noticed a strange odor lately (of skin, not of stool), but I'd describe it as like vinegar.

I have not been on any sort of medication for a few months now because I'm pregnant. When I stopped taking Metformin, these objects in my stool disappeared.

Well it's good to see descriptions of similar objects, except for me, mine is entirely different than you. The objects being described are pretty much the same, even though there are three different descriptions floating around.

The object which I found was a weird white casing, somebody on another site explained it as a big jelly bean shape.

The difference between everybody else's and mine is that I threw mine up and haven't pooped anything out aside from the regular disgusting feces. I'm going to bring mine over to a clinic, the problem is that it was lying out for about 7 hours in water for a while, so I hope that didn't rinse away any clues. I'm also hoping the thing wasn't popped yet and there might be clues inside of it that might help.

I'll attempt to let you all know, I might forget about the site ... but hopefully not :-)

Hi all, just found these weird objects in toddlers (26 month old) nappy. Knew they were nothing he had eaten. Looked a bit like a bean, and varied in size up to about 1 cm. Squeezed some and they had white insides with mucusy, almost bubbly stuff inside. Really freaky!!!! Clicked on the link someone posted about the 'curds' and wished I could have read more. Son is on no medications whatsoever and we eat natural whole foods. Would love to know more. -Rachel

I am glad to have found this site, and people with the same problems, although it is concerning noone seems to know what it is. I don't have this problem, but just found the bean type objects in my toddlers nappy (26 months old). He is not on any type of medication so it is definitely not that. There were about 10 of them, varying in size up to about 1cm long, and white and frothy when squeezed. Am very concerned!! We have a very healthy wholefood diet. Any ideas?

Does any one here take Metformin? Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.. I have the same problem but it didn't start until I was put in Metformin for PCOS.

I'm also very happy to find this discussion thread as I was totally blown away when I saw these strange looking things that are exactly as others have described. I have been a nurse for 30 years and have NEVER seen anything like this before, and goodness knows I have seen more than my share of poop. I had a colonoscopy which revealed absolutely nothing and for lack of something else to call it, I was told I had IBS (syndrome, you know, that catch all term which means I don't know what you have). At that time, I delivered two of those little pod things to my GI MD who I thought was going to do some kind of analysis, but the only test he ordered was a test for ova and parasites which was negative. I, too, take Metformin but not the timed release kind. I can only speak for myself but I have the bloating and diarrhea/constipation cycles also. This was a new thing for me in the last eight months or so, as I had always had an iron clad stomach and could eat anything that didn't eat me first. Indigestion for me was an extremely rare occurrence. I also rarely had bowel problems, one way or another, but if I was stopped up, all I basically dared to do was peek at the container of laxatives and I was sure to need the Immodium to slow things down. I also got that vacant (I really don't have a clue what this thing is, but I'm not going to admit it) look while he was telling me that he was sure it was some kind of pill I had taken. Interesting how the MD can say that since I think I would remember if I had taken any pill that would remotely be responsible for an anomaly such as that. Bottom line is that I don't have a definitive answer for anyone either but it is good to know that I am not so freakish as I thought.

I was very glad to discover this group. This is the first I've heard of the objects or so many other people experiencing them. I have ejected about 4 dozen or so of these over the months and having frozen a fair amounts of samples. I'm waiting to see which one comes out the biggest...so far about 1 1/2 inch. Although I generally see them after ingesting some type of oil. I believe the oil allows them to come of the sides of the intestines easier as I noticed the pods are very gooey and sticky. When left to the air or allowed to sit in water they will liquify into a small gooey pool. I started seeing them some months ago BEFORE I started metformin. These are NO pills. I did take some samples to Dr. for lab analysis and the result came back fecal fat. I don't know if i believe it due to the sticky consistency of the item but that was my first lab result. I will take more to another lab with an upcoming infectious disease appt. I have. I also have had a pretty decent amount of parasites so I feared these would be parasitic. I did look at a couple under scope and saw some worms but that would not be unusual in an infected person. These will also come out with ozone treatments I've been doing. These things do grow or rather coat themselves...like pearls. I noticed that when I rinse them off there seems to be a slight decrease in size. I also though these might be the byproduct of the lymph system as there are many lymph vessels in the intestinal tract. For whatever reason the lymph may not be flowing smoothly as it seems many here have some type of gastro problems it seems very possible to me.

Yes! I didn't notice these until I was on Metformin for quite a while (for PCOS as well). Since I've become pregnant and have been taken off of the Metformin, I have not seen these things in the toilet at all. I'm now convinced that it has something to do with the Metformin pills.

i had this white fuzzy thing on my stool one time, that was a few days ago, it's gone now and i havent seen any since then.

:-| After reading the numerous posts about finding spongey orange/tan bean shaped objects with white cream cheese consistent centers I figured out what mine were after doing a little experiment.

I'm on Metformin XR tabs for diabetes. After stressing about what it could be. I took one of my tabs and placed it into about 4 oz of warm water with about 1 tsp of lemon juice ( simply to make an attempt to produce a vaguely similar environment for when it hits your stomach.) I let the tablet set overnight in this solution.

When I went to inspect the results I was relieved!!!!!!!! It was the SAME size spongy feeling thingy with a cream cheese consitant center that I had been passing off and on. It was my Metformin indeed, undigested. I was so surprised because I really did not know what I'd find! As I broke it open and began mashing it between my thumb and forefinger I was elated! I'd found my answer!!!!!!! I had taken my med on an empty stomach and was passing them in diarrheal stools.

I would suggest that everyone try this out for themselves using any tablets you take that are extended release since It seems that it is the shell on the tablet/caplet that gets spongey-like. Do not use your very last pill! If you are having moderate to severe abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, nausea and/or vomiting, blood in your stools or high fever...see you doctor right away instead of trying to figure this out on your own. If there are accompanying symptoms requiring immediate medical attention try this out for yourself. I hope you get the same result as me or at the very least began to eliminate some possibilities. ** Do not use your last cap/tablet.

This worked out for me by finally answering my question. For those of you who are not on any medication I would suggest just seeing your doctor. It's your life and health so you have the right to have your concerns acted on and an attempt made to provide you with answers. I hope this helps.

God Bless

Yes, I was on Metformin for PCOS when I discovered this issue. Since I became pregnant and was taken off of the Metformin, I haven't seen these things again. I'm convinced that it was the Metformin pills somehow.