I had a heart attack in '04 mainly because I was overweight, high blood pressure & diabetic. My father passed in '02 and in '03 I started smoking marijuana. Well... I still smoke marijuana but not as much. I'm wondering what the side effects or what is the damage from smoking marijuana while having congestive heart failure. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

It probably isn't to good for you man.. We all know weed wont kill you itself but it can do something to you if you already have a history of heart problems. Vaporize and smoke in moderation.. Just keep tokin till you actually think you need to stop or if a doctor tells you to. Oh and if you have dropped the weight and if your considered a healthy patron.. I wouldn't worry..

Marijuana can cause the heart to speed up and beat faster.. if you have CHF, that means your heart isn't working properly, so i suggest you start attempting. cuz if smoked weed for a while. and i didnt know i had CHF and then had a heart attack. stopped smoking weed for a bit. felt brave enough to smoke again. and had another heart attack (yes i know surviving 2 heart attacks hard to believe).. now i have to use a chair to get up and down stairs in my house and im only 23 years old and i was never really obese. all im saying is dont chance it.. i did. now i cant drive. cant go out unless im accompanied by my mom and a nurse and a defibrillator. think about it.

Please do not take my word for it, check the facts.

Cigarettes are a vascular constrictor and is very dangerous for those who have had a heart attack.
Marijuana is a vascular dilator which causes improved blood flow and provides more oxygen in the blood.

Cigs bad
Pot good.

Tar and carbon monoxide (in anything that is ignited and burned) will junk up your lungs and vascular system. The health of your heart is directly related to the health of your lungs. Body organs need oxygen rich blood to thrive. Among a lot of other things, a brain stimulated by THC increases your heart rate. People with higher resting heart rates are more likely to have a heart attack.

Carbon monoxide is horrible for the health of your vascular system. It stiffens the walls of veins and arteries which helps blood clots form and plaque to build up more easily. This means heart attack/stroke/anneurism later in life.

The person who said "cigs bad pot good" will likely give you a grocery list of the theoretical benefits of pot. While there are some benefits for some people in some situations, what he won't and has not given you is anything that resembles a medical fact, and you don't sound like a good candidate for "pot therapy." Definitely take the advice he gives in within the first 8 words of his reply.

Medical facts asside, don't you think that this is sort of a no-brainer question? I think you probably already knew the answer to your question before you asked it. Maybe you just need confirmation....?

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you don't feel like you can ask your Dr if a behavior you are participating in is ok for your health, then it's probably not ok for your health. I'm not a Dr so I have no idea whether smoking weed is more dangerous than taking thc in pill form or using a vaporizer. For argument sake, I am going to assume you are talking about smoking. If you have CHF (like I do) then you are probably taking between 4 and 6 meds a day (depending on the day) for the CHF alone. Keep in mind that CHF means that your heart isnt pumping efficiently because of weakened heart muscles (and usually means your lungs are having to work harder too), marijuana is NOT going to help your heart muscle pump more efficiently and it's not going to ease the burden on your already congested lungs. CHF has nothing to do with vascular dilation so the fact that marijuana is a vasodilator is irrelevant. With heart failure you're heart is already having to work dangerously hard to keep you going when you aren't adding fuel to the fire (so-to-speak) so to smoke a substance that has the potential to cause arrythmias in hearts that are healthy means that with every toke, you are playing Russian roulette. Be careful :0)

Oh, me, too! It also caused my toe cancer, and all of my pubic hair to turn first green, and then orange, and now it's halfway inbetween blue and purple. While I had 6 fingers and toes on both hands and feet before I smoked marijuana, I'm sure it must have been because my great, great, great, great, great aunt once tasted a marijuana seed in a salad she was forced to eat by aboriginal missionaries in the trek across the Outback she took that year. Honest!

I have had quadruple bypass surgery, angina pain you name it. 15 years later I still enjoy weed. I know when to cool it, I mean I'm no kid at 58. But let me tell you something. For me Marijuana works better than any pain pill I've taken. No side effects except I feel good every single day.  Know that 4 hits 3 times a day is enough. Balance my friend, balance.

Heartdon'tfailmenow: I agree 100%. It's not about being "Stoned" it's about feeling decent and good. It also helps me deal with the dark side of CHF. The dreaded depression monster. Marijuana keeps the depression monster in the corner eating Doritos. Every beat is special. Enjoy them all!

No, vasodilators are very relevant for congestive heart failure. Dilation of the blood vessels lowers the blood pressure. Dilated vessels lower the resistance to blood flow, making less work for the heart.

-Do not- take this to mean that pot is good for your heart. Rather, it means that pot messes with things that -are- very important in congestive heart failure. With all the other meds you're on, and the possible interactions, using pot sounds like a rally bad idea.

I smoke weed every night to sleep and it allows me to sleep between 3 and 4 hours. Without it i dont sleep but doctors will not give me sleeping meds except lorazapan which dont work. I have had 8 heart attacks a 9 bypass and have a difibulator planted in me. I know pot not good for you and anyone says pot good is so mistaken as it haq=s more tar and cardengens.at night I breath better and sleep after i smoke and i also tell my doctors i do cause weed can affect other meds. remember tell your doctor you are safe they cant tell anyone. This proofs that pot can help some people but for most it hurts more then helps

honestly ive been asking the same question is it good or bad to smoke pot with CHF? im not a doctor or a health care professional so please note this is an opinion and that is all much like the other answers. I believe the answer to this questions lays within the strain of marijuana that is inhaled if its a indica strain i could see it slowing the heart down creating less work for it and possibly relieving pain if it was a sativa strain i could see it speeding up the heart and making more work for the heart possibly causing more damage. To my understanding sativa helps the mind indica helps the body but everyone is different has different experiences and reactions to certain things its like any drug you take prescription or none the only difference is prescription has a list of possible side effects and extremely rare side effects(which exist for none prescription but online lists not as reliable). all and all your best shot is to go with your gut and the opinion of your doctor after all no one knows you better then you

I hear you brother, had my MI at 56. Stress stress stress Felt like sh*t till I went back on the herb and off Big Pharma. Now I eat my 2 Gm a day and top up with a vape when i am crashing or stressing out. My family is happy again and I can think straight for the first time in months.

In a week I will be 80. Open heart surgery,- aortic valve replacement, quad by-pass and a stint. I quit smoking at age 35. 

Cannibis brownies are my only intake of THC and the only 'medicine' that allows me to sleep. Peripheral neuropathy can be very painful as the result of vascular restriction. Eating, not smoking,  is very effective as a vasodilator. 

Dave

I also have CHF and I am on multiple meds,including a lasix,a pill to keep chest pains away,coreg,magnesium,potassium and iron..Before I got CHF I used to smoke marijuana on a daily basis..But since I have been diagnosed with CHF everytime I smoke the herb it just doesn't make me feel right and it makes my heart rate increase,which can't be good with CHF..And I'm only 21 its kinda depressing having CHF this young