Hello there. Look, I have a couple of questions for you about mitral valve repair surgery. My husband needs to go to this surgery in couple of days and he is extremely worried. I understand him because I do know what is the feeling like when you are dealing with any heart problems.

I really want to know how invasive mitral valve repair surgery is.

I know a little bit about this but I was very confused with all those facts that I have found. It is true that reading so many thing on the internet cannot be good.

Hey I know that the most common surgical approach to the mitral valve requires the surgery to saw open the breastbone and spread the edges apart to gain directs access to heart. Maybe it sounds really scary to you but you should not be that worried because scientists improved surgeon techniques. Although this approach provides amazing access to the heart, you should know that wound can be very painful. In this situation your husband will have to rest a lot until the wound gets better. Recovery period can be pretty much longer that you both can imagine but you need to be patient and help your husband.

Hi there.

In minimally invasive heart surgery, cardiac doctors perform heart surgery through very small incisions in the right side of your chest. This is an alternative to open heart surgery. Cardiologists who will be there will your husband will operate between the ribs and don’t split the breastbone. This will result in less pain and the recovery will be much quicker, like it was the case for a lot of people. Well, in invasive surgery your heart surgeon has a better view of some parts of your heart than this is a case in heart open surgery.

Good luck.

You know why I am asking all this? Because I tried to find out more information from my doctor but it is impossible since he just told me that I need to wait and after the surgery he is going to explain to me what he was doing, how the whole procedure was looking like, etc.

Now, I know my husband very well and he won't accept to go to the surgery before he finds out how this whole procedure is going to be like.

He is really huge hypochondriac and he is scared.

Tell me, for how long recovery process can last if everything is ok?  

Hey La Yi La,

Recovery from a mitral valve repair surgery usually involves a few days in an intensive care unit of a hospital. Full recovery from this procedure can take up to several months. Recovery includes healing of the surgical incision, gradually building physical endurance, and exercising.

He will feel sore and tired the first few weeks after the surgery. He may have some brief and sharp pains on either side of his chest. His chest, shoulders and upper back may ache. The incision in his chest may be sore and swollen. These symptoms usually resolve in the first four to six weeks.

Hey everyone,

He won't be able to do any hard things for the first six weeks like lifting weight and stuff, he should avoid it anyway in the first month. Even though the surgery is going to repair his valve, it will still be important for him to eat heart healthy foods, get regular exercise, not smoke, take his heart medicines and reduce stress. His doctor might recommend him to work with a nurse, a dietitian, and a physical therapist in order to make these changes. This is called a cardiac rehabilitation and a lot of people with different kind of heart issues are attending it.

Hey La Yi La,

It's not easy, recovery is not easy at all from valve repair surgery. I'd take the advice that Health n joy gave him, to go to cardiac rehabilitation. It's a great type of a course for people who had open heart surgeries or any heart procedures done. He will learn what kind of foods to eat, how to exercise and how much, it will greatly improve the quality of his life. It does last for a while though, it lasts for about four months, but it is definitely worth of his time, you should talk to him about this.

Hey everyone,

This is how it goes: during the procedure, the person is placed under local anesthesia. The doctor will make a large incision in the chest and the person is placed on a heart lung machine during the surgery. Blood is circulated outside the body and oxygen is added to it using this heart lung machine. To protect the heart muscle from damage during this surgery, the heart may be cooled to slow or stop the heartbeat.

The procedure itself is not that dangerous but it does require a lot of time to recover from. He has to do this anyway.