Well, as i can see i'm not the only one to have a toddler with constant coughing problems. My 2 and a half year old son did start coughing badly almost 3 months ago now, he was put on antibiotics a couple of times which only helped slightly, he was clear of this terrible cough when the weather got dry again, but then as soon as the weather got damp again it has started his terrible coughing again, in fact it got worse, as it's now almost continius throughout the day but especially at night time :-( I went back to see my GP, he put him on a low dose of steroids, on 3 occasions, but even these didn't really work, as the coughing got worse in the night time i went to see my GP AGAIN, and he now thinks my son might have asthma! although he's not wheezy, but because his coughing gets worse after physical activities and also at night time; but i'm still not convinced and truly believe it might still be viral as he seems to be full of cold, is there anyone out there got a child who has had the same symptoms and would share their experience??????

hi.
well when i was born i was dignosed with mild asthma.
that means it messes up randomly and when i was probably 8 i had the symptoms as your son.
i would cough all through the night and my med. didnt seem to work but it would come and go.
i played sports and it would get worse and the doctor said to just keep taking the med. and it would get better.
i seemed to take it alot. and sometimes it would work.
im 17 now i play sports and i don't experince the wheezing and coughing as much as before.
you should ask his doctor to try him on some asthma med.
i had this machine since i was to small to take it like normal people with asthma so he might have to have one.
hopefully he will be okay

Hi Tori 55,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have since been back to my doctors after my son had the worse night ever with coughing, and he has put him on some asthma med, and said that if his condition didn't improve within the next 3 weeks he would refer him to an asthma specialist. Glad you're ok now and can play all kind of sports, take care!

My 20 month old son has the same symptoms. A constant cold and the most awful cough, worsened by running about and sooo bad through the night that we are getting on average 2-3 hours sleep a night. He has seen GP a couple of times but they keep saying his chest is clear and the cough will wear off. After over 6 months of it, it is not wearing off. In fact, it's getting worse. We have another GP appointment this afternoon so we'll see what they say, but I can't take any more brushing it off. I walk round like a zombie all day from sleep depravation, and my poor son is just exhausted from all the coughing. I hope your son is improving, and fingers crossed we will also get the help we need today.

Hi Lou, So sorry to hear about your son, and I can't believe your GP hasn't done anything after all that time! You must go back to your GP and put your foot down and ask for your son to be referred to the hospital and get checked out by a specialist, it might well be viral, but if he has got asthma you need to know too. When my son was referred to a specialist and when they concluded it was probably asthma but I knew they were wrong in his case as no one in our family has actually got asthma and in his case i knew it was viral. My son still has coughing episodes when he gets a cold but the coughing isn't as bad as it used to be, and because he's now almost 4 and getting obviously stronger seems to be fighting it more easily now. How did you get on with your appointment to your GP yesterday? I hope your son gets better very soon xx

Ok, saw GP yesterday afternoon, who was a lot better than the last few we saw. She says there is a 'wheeze' on my sons chest. With the extremely strong family history of asthma, I wasn't surprised. However she says he is too young to diagnose as asthmatic at the moment, so suggested it is just viral. Had yet another bad night with him but kept him downstairs with me on the sofa, and it wasn't the worst night we've had. He still struggled with the breathing a bit but not as much as usual. Wondering whether teddies in his room may be affecting him?? Harbouring dust mites maybe?? I'm going to try removing teddies from his room tonight and see if it makes any difference. Will keep you updated.

My daughter has almost the same symptoms. She has been coughing for roughly 5 weeks now. A wet sounding cough. All night she coughs and it keeps me up and most nights I give up and end up in her bed with her. She is 3.5 years old. When this started she went in the first two times to the doctor and they said its just a cough give it time to clear up. We went back to the ER after her fever lasted for 4 nights adn they did a chest xray and ruled it as viral pneumonia. They started her on an antibiotic. Well it didnt go away. Three visits later and two more antibiotics we ended up at another pediatrician. This time he said asthma sent her home with an inhaler and steroids for a week. She was also referred to her ear specialist because her left ear had hurt this whole time and she has ear tubes. The specialist said her tubes are plugged and they hurt because they are finally coming out after a year and a half. So she is completely done with antibiotics now and the steroids. Her cough is just as bad and I have no idea where to go from here. Even when she doesnt seem to have a cold after running around she always coughs. I had brought it up months ago about asthma but even with the inhaler she has a bad cough at night.

Hi, my son 3.5 has the same problem. Coughing at night and during physical activities.  He has been coughing on and off for a couple of years. Our doctor always told us off with a cold or a congestion or an ear infection. My house is completely allergens free. No carpets, no stuffed animals, no pets. I have special covers for mattresses, I even bought a rabbit air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Every year we  take him to Florida. And still coughing. Next Tuesday we are going to see a specialist, I think (my husband does not) he has asthma. If you have any suggestion, I am open to it. Renata

hi, my little girl has had the same problem for the past few years on and off. She is 3 years old now and cannot stop coughing almost every night. My doctor always tells me it is a 'cold' or 'viral infection' but she doesnt have a cold?? And because her chest is clear it isn't anything else. I dont really no what else to do about it but it really isnt fair on her as she cannot sleep because of it. So far she has currently had this cough she has at the moment every night for the past 4 weeks and not getting any better so wondering whether to take her doctors again but dont want to hear the same things and come away none the wiser.....help!!

My 27 month old has been coughing for 6 weeks and now to the point of vomiting. We were told it is a sinus infection, did antibiotics (yuk), then told it was a cold and did cold medicine (yuk), then told it is allergies, so tired Claritin, nothing working. Yesterday started Nasonex, last night she could not stop coughing at all, threw up. We went for a chest X-ray and Pertussis swab this morning. Chest is clear and I am sure it is not Pertussis, her cough is wet and it just doesn't fit. Now we are starting an inhaler with steroids and cough medicine with codine. So much stuff for my little girl but she isn't getting any rest or sleep and her tummy hurts from so much coughing. 

I'm reading all these posts and I am just getting so upset!! Why can't the doctors get a clue that this is truly irritating us?? This is a big deal!! This needs to be researched. Honestly.

my daughter has the same coughing symptoms, I am actually calling tomorrow to get a referral to an ENT to have her adenoids checked.  You should all do the same.  If their adenoids are swollen it causes alot of post nasal drip which can irritation which in turn can cause chronic coughing.  I didn't even think of it until my mother told me I had the same issues and after my adenoids where taken out I was perfectly fine.

Hi Guys just reading your posts.

Im off to the doctors this morning with my little girl she is 2 years 4 months.  For the past four week she has been coughing and it dont seem to be getting any better.  Last night she was coughing constanly its a wet cough and sometimes she goes to vomit.  I feel really bad as she is wheezing with it.

She was born 8 weeks prem so I worry about everything to do with her lungs etc. She dosent seem unwell with it's just the contstant coughing.  Gets worst when she is sleeping more relaxed.

I will let you know how I get on.  As a parent you worry so much.

My two and a half year old has had the dry cough and runny nose for almost two years now. At one year she broke out in terrible hives that lasted and worsened over a month. We later found out she had allergies to gluten. I was hopeful cutting gluten out would stop it. It did not. I can think of very few weeks in her life where her nose was not running and she wasn't coughing at night. We have tried allergy medicines, humidifier, homeopath, massage, pressure point and I just want Cry she is so irritated. Cough intensifies at night. I will look into the adenoids . I think we have to fight for clean air. It is ridiculous how many kids are affected. My daughter did have to have her lungs cleared and tubed at birth...anybody else.

My son is now 14 but when he was about 3 he had a constant cough for about a year, he coughed all day but the cough was much worse at night, don't think we slept for that year. I took him to the doctors loads of time, who referred him to the astma clinic but the inhalers didnt make a bit of difference to his cough, then was referred to hospital for a chest xray, nothing showed up, then he had different tests taken for whooping cough etc, nothing showed up. I was then reading the internet about constant coughing in children and it said that if a child had a allergy to milk then this could cause constant coughing, I then went back to the doctors and asked for an allegy test, which showed up that my son had a slight allergy to milk, he was a big milk drinker at that time, drinking two pints of milk a day, I then cut the milk out of his diet and the cough disappeared.