Hi ladies,

I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (High-Functioning end of Autism Spectrum), and I had to go on "The Pill," because I would get SO irritable and moody when I was PMS'ing that I could hardly control what came out of my mouth!  Because of my Asperger's, it is more difficult for me to express my emotions in a way that most neurotypical people would consider appropriate.  Before the pill, I would get REALLY short-tempered and sensitive during the 1-2 weeks before my period!  I would get very defensive or have self-depreciating thoughts.  I would end up saying nasty things about other people either to their faces or behind their backs.  I would be nasty to significant people in my life such as my parents, brother, and boyfriend.  When I was at my old college (Landmark College, for students w/learning disabilities) I even called my roommate, Meghan an a*** and a b**** behind her back because I was PMS'ing (at least I think that was part of the reason) and I thought she was sort of bossy!  When I would PMS on my parents or brother, they would often ask me, "Leanne, why are you so angry with me?"  It's like, DUH!  I'M PMS'ING!  OF COURSE I'M GOING TO BE REALLY IRRITABLE FOR THE NEXT WEEK OR TWO!  I got my period when I was 10 (I'm 19) so my mom should've already learned to be extra reassuring when giving me constructive criticizm, since I would NOT deal well with criticizm AT ALL when I was PMS'ing!  I would even let her know, "Mom, I'm PMS'ing.  Please cut me a little slack because I'm going to be short tempered for the next week or two."  My mom was the one who suggested the pill because it had shown to help with severe PMS anf PMDD (although I've never been diagnosed with or tested for PMDD).  My boyfriend would say things like, "It scared me they way you just shouted at me," and stuff.  After a while, I started letting him know when I was PMS'ing, too, so that if things turned a little nasty, at least he would know why.

This is my 2nd month on the pill, and I feel as my mom was right, I feel like this is just what I needed!  It seems like I'm tolerating the pill ok, without any side effects.  My PMS moodswings are more manageable now, whereas before I went on the pill, it would get out of control!  I want other women who have to deal with this every month, that it is not your fault, even if people such as your parents, educators, therapists, employer(s) or co-workers act like it is.  I would also like people such as educators, parents, therapists, or other people who have close contact with someone who has to go through this every month to remember not to act like it is the other person's fault that she has to go through this, because it's really nobody's fault.  Another thing I would like to tell parents, educators, and other people who might have close contact with girls with disabilities is that it might be harder for these girls to express their emotions with you.  Especially if her disability affects her communication or social skills.  My Asperger Syndrome affects both my language and social skills, but unlike some people with the more severe forms of Autism, my verbal skills and cognitive abilities are within normal limits for someone my age.    

This so describes my daughter and I've done everything I know to do to help her. May I ask which pill you take? I have debated about putting her on the pill but notsure what to ask about because there re o many and I'm so afraid of making things worse! Thanks so much for your post! Hope you are still doing well. :)

I take Norgestimate-Eth Estradiol Tab, but talk to your doctor first before putting her on any pill. Does your daughter have a disability?

Yea. She was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome when she was 6 and has always struggled with meltdowns, sensory issues, and social skills, but since she has turned 13 and started her period, PMS has increased the meltdowns tremendously. The week before and during is almost unbearable. I have started her on calcium, B complex, and also Chaste Berry. Hopefully it will make her feel better. :)

I have Asperger Syndrome too! And before I went on the birth control pill, the 1-2 weeks before my period were just horrible! I could not control what I said or did! Now that I'm on the pill, my PMS has gone down to a more manageable level. I do have a little bit of an episode every now and then, but I do let people know that I need to take a breather.

Leanne Strong

I had the same problem and Yasmin saved my life - literally!

I too has Aspergers syndrome and im on the pill and sometimes its manageable sometimes its not and im glad im not alone as i am 22 years old and sometimes i do have episodes but its not too often.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It make sure total sense with my 14 year old with ASD. I was also thinking the pill could help her but reluctant to do that at this ag. But I am desperate as a mother who is exhausted with being treated so awfully during this time of the month. And I know that it can't be good for her either.