What can you tell me about Asperger syndrome? Is that the same thing as autism? A friend’s kid has been diagnosed with this illness, but as far as I can tell, he seems quite normal to me. So, what is the problem then? I would like to help my friend, but I am not sure how or if I can do it at all…

Well, Asperger syndrome is one of the many conditions medicine is left clueless with. I mean, doctors still do not know in which group of illnesses to put this one. The patients appear normal, but have many problems, with social fitting, talking, they do not like any sort of change etc. Some doctors call these patients those who have a slight autism. But they do have normal IQ and sometimes even some exceptional skills.

Hallo,
Asperger syndrome is a condition where the patient will have a high functioning form of autism. As you can see from this answer to your question is yes, autism and Asperger syndrome are the same thing but in different level only. Thing is that Asperger syndrome is more often noticed in boys than in girls. There is no known cause of this condition but they say that this illness runs in the family. Do you know if there is other family member that had this condition? I am not sure if there is a treatment that will cure his child from Asperger syndrome but there is a way that he can work with his child to manage this condition that will ease his child’s life.