I am trying to get a closer understanding of people with Asperger syndrome. A friend of mine was just diagnosed. I always knew he was different, but he is still a great person that I am happy to have in my life, and I am happy for him that he now knows what is the issue with him. So, do all Asperger syndrome patients have obsessive actions (my friend is into ecological campaigning and knows everything about the ozone layer) and is this really stereotypical for Asperger syndrome?

That sounds right, yes. Asperger syndrome people do something that is called "hyper focusing" sometimes. This means they are more or less obsessed with a certain subject of their choice and devote much of their time to the subject of their choice. Not all Asperger syndrome people do this, though most do. So yeah, you hit that one on the nail!

Oh, it is great to hear from other people with friends that have Asperger syndrome. My husband is an Aspie, and I am not totally normal myself - I have ADHD. I do think of ASD as more of a type of people than a disorder, and I feel we seek each other out wherever in life we go. I recognoze the stuff about hyper focusing as well :-).