Well, this is my first post as I just found this web page. Looks very informative.

I am a male in his mid 30s and have had a semi-hard lump directly in the center of the rear of my neck(between hairline and shoulders) for about 10 years now. When I first noticed it almost 10 years ago, I went and saw my regular doctor and he told me it was nothing to worry about, just a gland and I would probably notice it gets a little larger in the summertime.

Well I was stupid and younger then and decided to not follow up on it after that. Here we are 10+ years later and it has grown a bit. Probably 1.5 inches diameter. It does not hurt, ever. What I have been noticing is that it is letting off a bad odor. I can smell it if I walk and come to a stop. I had an itch the other day right below it and scratched it and then felt a liquid on my fingers. There was a little bit of puss that came out due to the scratching and it smelt horrible. I then took my thumb and index fingers and squeezed it and a good amount of puss came out.

I have done some searches and cannot find what may be my issue. I was going to see a dermatologist to see what they would recommend.

Any ideas? This is starting to be a nuisance since I am now always concerned about the way it smells and others around me at work.

Thanks

Hi

I have exact the same symptoms, with my "puss eruption" occurring today. I intend to have it checked out by a doctor, probably you should too. Will let you know my diagnosis. Have you found you experience some neck pains, especially when for example sitting at a computer? I found the tension in my neck has decreased after my lump burst.

How odd. My two young children and I have this same problem. Mine wne away after cutin out gluten grains.

I have the EXACT same thing u described and today was my eruption day due to over scracthing. When I noticed the puss I used mirrors to see what was going on back there and began squeezing puss was squirting out onto my mirror. I kept squeezing till I couldn't get anymore out and now I have a much smaller lump. I have never been to a doctor and I am very curious to find out what this is and how to get rid of it.

i have this exact problem! it's letting off a disgusting smell... and it erupted last week, but it will fill back up, and i can squeeze the fluids out again. does anyone know what it is yet?

It could be and abscess that is infected. You really need to have it looked at if you haven't already.

WoW, that's so weird I have the Exact same thing for 10 years also. I noticed it when I was about 16, it started out as a small bump on the back of my shoulder. I picked and squeezed at it but there was no way anything was coming out. Over the years I became really self-conscious about it as it slowly grew larger. Several people had told me it was a cyst and pretty common. When it became about the size of a marble or a little bigger I noticed when I squeezed it clear fluid came out of my skin with a terrible odor! So I made a small cut and started squeezing it for over an hour before it stopped. Now like 3 months later I noticed that damn smell so I'm going to try to drain it again, so let me know what it is when you find out I hate to pay for a Dr visit (no ins.) if I can get rid of it on my own.

It's called a sebaceous cyst. Google it. Yep it is gross, and the doctor needs to lance it and remove the head, stitch it up and then it will go away. I have one on my neck.

more common than i thought ; have one too !

I will one at least twice a year. It is always in one of two spots. At the hairline on the back of my neck, either left or right. They get infected and grow to a point that they are a great nuisance. Other than draining them, the Doctors have not been able to give a clear answer as to what they are. Keeping them under a warm wet rag helps to bring relief.

this sounds like a sebaceous cyst. these cysts are cystic swellings of hair follicle, and thus occur in areas which produce hair-eg head and neck. they have a central punctum and may drain fluid. they are wncased within the dermal layer of the skin so the skin cannot be drawn over them like a lipoma, node or abscess. foul smelling discharge suggests infection of the sebaceous cyst. they can be removed surgically, if desired, by excising an elliptical pirtion of skin containing the punctum. many of them are familial. no thanks necessary:)

for clarity; an abscess would cause a swinging fever, and a node would not drain fluid.

I had the same lump from when I was 12. At 27 I noticed the foul odor and started touching it and felt the liquid, I squeezed it all out and it almost made me throw up. Now there is the slightest bump so small that I have to search with my fingers to find it, I squeeze it once a week and only tiny amount of fluid comes out that still smells. I just put a little peppermint oil onto of the spot when I get out of the shower, that covers any smell that might linger, even withou the oil I can only smell it if I really press and squeeze. When I was diagnosed with cancer at 24 I thought it was a tumor and doctors just told me to ignore it and there was nothing I could really do about it....so I guess the bursting is the final stage, congrats everyone.

My husband had the same thing you cansqueeze it and puss like stufup comes out it will go down but goe right back up by next week. I bought the Theives essential oil and it was doing great actually going away but I ran out of it and it's is coming back but he will definitely tell you that the Theives oil doe work you just have to do it longer than we did. W e have placed apowder for some more and will continue on it until its all the way gone also it helps with the smell of it.

I had it surgically removed years ago, but it came back, just not as large.

Oh, and everything I've read about it, says "DO NOT POP IT".  Popping it, might cause infection of the surrounding tissue.  Ooops, too late... I've popped it many times.

I just now put some vinegar on a small bit of cotton and covered it with a bandage.  I can feel the vinegar sting a very small amount, so since I can feel it, it must be doing something.  I can't wait for a few days...  hoping this works. That little thing is the most foul smelling ever... 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Pop it and put a small of potato on it and cover it it will suck out the goo and go away I had a few of them lanced one myself and put potato on it and it disappeared the one the doctor lanced is still slightly there.