Hi everybody. I’m taking bunion surgery in 10 days (yes, I’ve finally decided to get done with it) and now I’m gathering all info I can gat on it. I really know almost everything about the process itself, how much it will hurt, how long it will take and what doctors will do… Basically, I know what to except after the treatment but I’m interested if anybody here had it could tell me more on post op recovery. How long did it take for you?? Was it painful? How long you were not able to walk normally??? Thanks for all replies.

I had it 3 months ago and I assure you it is no big deal. Yes, you feel pain some time afterwards but it is not bad at all. I would rate it not more than 3 on a scale of 0 to 10. Moreover, pain is noticeable almost only when walking. There will be some swelling, though, and you’ll probably have to take something for it like Ibuprofen or Advil. On the other hand you will need a bit more time to get back to normal, especially walking. For me anything more than two blocks was tiring and uncomfortable. But that too did not take too long – after one month I was as good as new. Good luck

i Hi from New York I to finally decided to have it after procrastinating for about 15 years the pain got to unbearable- i just had bunion and hammer toe surgery on both my feet yesterday morning and honestly i was able to walk out of surgery on my own with a cane i felt no pain because my feet were still numb and now a day later the numbness is starting to wear off but even so no pain just a little throbbing i was instructed by my doctor to keep my feet elevated for the first 3 days with just bathroom privelages. i will keep you posted good luck

Some first-hand comments for anyone who is contemplating bunion surgery.

My wife had bunion and bone spur surgery on her right foot almost eight weeks ago. Her surgery was done by a top-flight orthopedic surgeon and she has followed every instruction (elevating foot, exercises, soaking, etc.) given to her. Also, she is a role model for physical fitness and she was used to working out at the gym at least five days every week.

Almost eight weeks after her surgery, she still can not wear shoes and, if she is up on the foot for more than 30 minutes, it turns red, has a burning sensation, and swells up. Her surgery did not require a pin to be inserted into her toe.

To say the least, we thought she would be much further along at this point. The doctor’s office now says that it might be up to eight months before the swelling subsides enough that she can wear shoes again.

Apparently this is on the outside range of what to expect, but not totally uncommon with foot surgery. (Incidentally, all of my wife’s post surgery x-rays have been completely normal and her surgery appears to have been quite successful, except for the pain and discomfort she is experiencing.)

Our advice to anyone contemplating this surgery is that you really carefully weigh your options and the risk to reward ratio.

Unless you are totally hobbled by your bunion, there is, in our opinion, a very good chance that you might be so inconvenienced by bunion surgery as to never reach even a break-even point in terms of a pay-back for what you will endure, plus the associated risk that you might actually end up worse off than before you had the surgery.

But, if you decide to have bunion surgery, please prepare yourself (especially mentally!!) for the scenario where you could be laid up for about six months, since, based on doing a lot of reading during the past three weeks, it is apparently not at all uncommon for it to take six months to recover from foot surgery and, in some cases, it can take a full year.

It has not been easy to watch my wife break into tears several times each day because of her frustrations over her foot surgery and the pain and the inconvenience that it has brought. We wish that we had better researched the ramifications of this surgery, because maybe we would have chosen not to do it. Knowing what we know today, it is a 100% certainty that she would not have done it.

As of today, we are just hoping and praying that she will ultimately at least get back to where she was before the surgery, but the prospect of six more months of being house-bound or wheel-chair bound seems quite daunting at this point in time.

I to was very frustrated after having my surgery.
I had bone spurs removed from the tops of both feet and had planned on having my worst bunion fixed which was on my rt foot but the podiatrist said if he was going to do surgery on the left i should have that bunion done also so i did not knowing what would be the outcome. The surgery went well but according to the post op instructions i could get up and walk after 3 days which i did and some how caused the screw to move in the rt toe and two fractures Now, I have had to have a second surgery done on that toe and there are wires sticking out of the top of it and a cast on it and a huge walking boot on my left foot. I also cry alot as I am very active and it has caused alot of frustration when i have to stay down so much with my feet elevated. I have had anxiety attacks to where i thought i was going to die because i couldnt catch my breath. I finally got the dr after two weeks to put a shorter cast on the rt and a shorter walking boot on. I have to use crutches and a wheel chair if i go anywhere. The worst was my Dr humiliated me in the second surgery in front of everyone saying that i caused the fracture when he had told my husband and I that the bone in that foot was mushy. I didnt want to go back to him and am having a hard time dealing with my visits to him. I dont get the wires out til i am 4 weeks out from the 2nd surgery. I am a very active person and that has kept me in the house and totally frustrated.

I think there are different ranges of progress. I had bunion surgery 9 days ago and have a screw in my bone. I am walking with a tiny limp, and no crutches just 9 days later. Im still in a post surgery boot. I took pain medixation for 3 days post op with a lot of pain on day 2, with slight pain after that. Every case is different. I took 'Arnica' which may be helping....a homeopathic tablet for swelling and bruising. My main recommendtion is to find a surgeon with a great reputation.

I read all the posts on bunions and hammertoes and need both of my feet done. At least the one that I cannot wear regular shoes because my toe crosses over and it hurts so bad so I have been wearing huge ugg boots to give me lots of room. I cannot wear any other kind of boot but huge slippers and it is quite embarrassing to try and dress up and have to sear slacks or long skirt as I have to wear this pair of black boots. I want the surgery but am really wondering if it is now the best thing to do. I am 62 years old and keep putting it off hoping they will come further and do better jobs. I cannot walk very far without my bunions hurting and I get terrible cramps trying to make another hammertoe on my other foot. arches cramp and toes cramp....is this normal...I guess I need more information about this surgery and perhaps some doctors are better than others. MY aunt had it done on both feet and she said she was back up and about in a few weeks and it went fine for her and she is 20 years older than me but had it done 40 years ago too....so I just don't know what to think.

Sweetie, you sound as if you're having real problems there! Your saying your hammertoe is agony, you can't walk far without your bunions bothering you - even in Ugg boots? Honey, the time has come - don't wait another moment for better solutions to develop!

You're only 62 - you should be able to walk for miles, dance, play tennis, wear pretty shoes, even heels sometimes! Get the surgery booked, asap.

In the meantime, try to keep the joints mobile - exercise your toes, and have your bunions massaged when they're hurting.

Good luck!

Susan

As long as post op procedures were followed accordingly, one would not encounter problems w/ healing after bunion surgery. Also, my doctor, chief podiatrist in a hospital, never advised me to have both feet done at the same because she said I would feel useless, worthless, and would try to walk earlier and it would impede the healing process. That was the best advice ever. I wanted to be off work for two weeks only, she gave me a month or she would not do the surgery. She was right. I followed every post op procedure. I was literally crying on my bed because I could not do any exercise etc... but it was worth it!!!

my question is ofr jo form new york i just wanted toknow were both your feet hurting and was it painful u say it wasnt that painful. also u got both feet done at the same time. let me ask u how many hammertoes did u have on each foot and was your bunion severe i too haave to get this done and im 22 years old my bunion dont hurt but i dont want it to get worst and my hammertoes i wanna get fixed my i ask how old were u when u got this done and u got it cause you couldnt take the pain no more i have pain but really under my foot for some reason and i belive maybe cause i have bad flat feet also where did u got to have this done in newyork and did u or your doctor recomend to do both i dont wanna go through the process over again i rather do 2 feet and get it over with but a doctor i seen said do 1 at a time were u recomended to do so or chose to and did u have to take the pain medication they gave u were they strong and do they take away the pain

curt i just wanted to know if u got this done on one or two feet and what procedure did u get was it a mild bunion

Hi all,

I read all of your posts and I really seems that different people have different outcomes. I was highly concerned with my bunionectomy on about the 4th day after surgery, when I began to notice more swelling and also brusing of my big toe. On the 5th day, my other toes began to turn blue. I still don't know if this is normal and it's a bit concerning. I'm still in pain though and am still icing the heck out of my foot and constantly elevating it. The pain esp. for the first 3 days was agonizing and very frustrating. Even with codeine, I still had pain. The doctor said I could walk ok right after surgery and boy was he wrong. I can't imagine walking on my swollen foot. It's just too much pain. I called him when I found out I couldn't do this and he gave me a pair of crutches. That helped me move around a lot. Again, I hope my swelling and buising isn't a bad sign and doesn't get worse.

Anyone know if that's pretty normal to have burising on about the 3rd day after surgery????? Please let me know.
Good luck to everyone through this painful recovery!

I had surgery when I was 27 the first time. It was done by an orthopedic, and he did both feet at the same time. He did wrong by me and did a Keller bunionectomy - which should only be done on people in late 70's and up. Just recently I had bunion surgey on my right big toe (yup it came back - I am 63 now)by a podiatrist. This is my second day after surgey - no pain to speak of. I had it done again because I couldn't stand the look of the large toe going over the second toe (had no pain there) - but it was causing pain on my pinky toe. The doctor also shaved the outer bone of the pinky toe. If all goes well, I'm having my left foot redone.

hi there. I am writing from my bed, foot up and ice on! Its day 4 since I had bunion surgery on my left foot. Firstly i would do 1 foot at a time, trust me 2 feet sounds like a great idea but imagine not being able to walk or move for days on end. I had my right foot done 4 yrs back so kind of knew what to expect. this time has been a little harder as i have 14 month old who is constantly running about and as I discovered at 4am the day post surgery i have become allergic to the painkillers - so spent the morning throwing up. I ended up having to stop taking them so am now on OTC Tylenol so its fair to say it hurts! Saying that compared to 2 days ago its definitely 35% better today and I recall from previous time that every day it gets easier. I go to docs for redressing and x-ray in 2 days and theoretically will be off crutches and allowed to walk a short bit. I cant see it myself right now but the last time was the same and by god my doctor was right, i could walk on it! I would tell anyone out there who is having pain to get the surgery. Just choose your doc carefully. I am at a podiatrist who did my first op and i love him - Tony DiStefano Hoboken, NJ. Also dont cut corners, no matter how frustrated you feel. Its not worth it so even tho sitting around, hurting and icing is not fun its not forever and it will get better. Oh well in a week or 2 I will be in my trendy boot and hobbling about for 4-6 weeks so best enjoy this downtime with my husband running around after me as it wont last long! good luck to you all!

Had bunion surgery 8-1/2 weeks ago on one foot. The doctor needed to completely separate the big toe bone from the foot bone to re-align it. Surgery took about an hour to realign the bone and put in two screws to keep it in place. I'm taking a ton of vitamins and have ultrasound treatments for bone healing, and see a physical therapist to make sure that my big toe regains most of its range of motion.

First week was no walking unless absolutly necessary. To my suprise I had NO pain. A week after the surgery I got a removable walking cast, which is slow and makes my hip hurt if I walk too much, but is much better than crutches. Stitches out around 2 weeks. I could take the cast off whenever I wanted to as long as I didn't put ANY weight on the foot. Today I got changed to a cast boot for at home, but still need to wear the walkinig cast when out. The cast boot isn't much better than the walking cast. I'm due to get xrays again in 3 weeks, then hopefully I'll be able to wear tennis shoes and get back to my active life then. I'm going to Europe in 6 weeks and the doctor says that I'm on track for being able to do a lot of walking during my trip.

I did get a second opinion before going in for the surgery, and the other doctor would have put in a 6-inch screw and had me on cruches for 6 months. So, a lot depends on your bunion (mine was pretty bad, I guess) and your doctor.