I'm posting here to find out if anybody has heard about African Black Soap and perhaps uses it. 

I have very, very, very dry and even flaky skin on my face, all through the year but especially in winter. A coworker mentioned this soap to me as a solution and I am interested in basically anything that could be of help, but I have never heard of this product before and have no idea what to expect from it. 

How does it work. More importantly, does it work? If it does work, then which one should I be getting?

Thanks!

Yeah, I've heard that stuff compared to the Clarisonic brush, which has also been discussed here of course and which is rather pricey. So basically it exfoliates, removes makeup, increases blood circulation and gives you beautiful clear skin... It ain't for peeps with real dry skin, basically it works best on you if you got some kinda acne or oily skin. If you overdo it it can make your skin look dreadful, so test it first and use it only like once every three or four days and not every day, definitely not if you're just starting using it. 

I'm saying that for the other people who might be reading this yeah, but if you got very dry and flaky skin then no, skip this one...

Celebrity

African Black Soap is also just called black soap, as well as dudu osun, alata simena, and anago soap. It is usually made from the ash of plantains. It is good for people with sensitive skin and even people with skin problems such as eczema, post-shaving bumps, and acne.

Note: African Black Soap can indeed be used by many people with very dry skin. Many find that using the soap creates a healthier, newer looking effect because it is exfoliating. Like Londongirl said though, some people who do have dry skin notice the opposite effect and find it to be very drying and irritating. When considering this, it is important to remember that not all black soaps contain the same ingredients at all, so if one black soap was irritating to a person, another may not be. 

If you try the soap and find it drying, try using it less often and try following it up with a very rich moisturizer, such as one containing shea butter. You do not need to rub and rub and rub, either. Gently does it. Because so many people find that Black Soap has transformed their skin, I suggest that you give it a whirl. It may well work for you.

Rosie

tried it did not like it at all. made my skin look + feel dry and irritated. like sandpaper basically. not a good choice for me and will never, ever use this product or anything like it again. instead looked for a mild soap dr bronners castile soap is ok + gentle exfoliation separately now my skin looks better and feels better too. that it was a total mistake for me doesn't mean the black soap doesnt work for you of course but something you ought 2 know it does not help everyone and can be very bad for the skin.

I have dudu osun and have been using it every three or four days on my face. I have normal to dry skin, no flakes though, and I really like the way it makes my skin look. My face is smoother, softer and less blemished now than before I started using dudu osun, but because I have heard that using it too often is bad, I am only using it three times a week at the maximum. This is working very well for me, and I think it should be OK on your skin as well as long as you do not overuse it.

Thank you for writing that post! It is good to know how you are using it, actually, because I would have the tendency to use it every day to see a difference as soon as humanly possible :). Can I ask you exactly which product you are using and where you got it from? I hear there are big differences between products so I would really like to know which black soap you have had so much luck with!

African Soap is AWESOME!!!! I wish I had heard of it way before I actually did. I'm from Brazil with dark skin and I've been battling acne since my teens. One day, I came across a mention of African Soap on a forum for people with acne, and I decided to give it a shot. I later read that it's extremely popular in Africa and among African Americans as well. It's like $3 a bar. It's a myth that acne skin is always oily. Mine had a lot of dry patches, which were just as bad as the acne. Since I started using African Soap, my skin has looked 100 percent better. No, it is not drying at all and makes my skin look and feel absolutely fantastic.

African black soap changed my mind! I had been loyal to the old, trusty Cetaphil for a very long time and honestly thought that I would be using that for all eternity, LOL, but then a friend brought this back from the USA for me, and I tried it. Needless to say, I instantly fell in love with it. It makes my skin feel so good and look so very clean. Because I don't know where to buy this locally where I live, I since ordered a whole bunch of them off the web so I have a good supply. I'm all into natural products now, can't believe how much good this is doing for my skin!