Hi, I promised my children that I would take them to the country to visit granny. But I heard that there was recently isolated a rare bacteria called brucella. I am worried and I don’t know should we go there. Is this bacteria dangerous, and is there a risk for my childern to get brucellosis?

Hi, brucellosis is transmited through direct contact with infected animals and their carcasses, or through untreated milk and its derivates. So if your childern don’t consume untreated milk and stay away from any animals, they will be safe. However, it’s always difficult to keep the kids away from animals, especialy in the country. I believe that people who live there already did everything in their power to stop spreading brucellosis. Symptoms that occure are often fever, weakness, anorexia and depression. What is characteristic for this condition, is that people also feel a muscular pain and sweating. Brucellosis can be very dangerous if its sequelae include meningitis, anemia, spondylitis and similar diseases. Maybe it better if you wait on this trip a little longer and go without worries, then to travel now and risk your childern get sick.