I’m diagnosed with barrets esophagus recently. For many years now I have this strange taste in my mouth like acid. I have a sensation of heartburn also and really am having harsh time with these barrets esophagus symptoms. Is there anything I can do to help myself? And what this barrets esophagus term means anyway?

Hi there! I was diagnosed first with GERD meaning gastro esophagel reflux disease which may develop barrets esophagus. Since that time I don’t miss my follow ups once in a year and that means that I go on some kind of screening test which is called endoscopy just to check out if there’re any traces of barrets. I remember my doc saying that this acid taste you feel for long time causes develop of barrets espheragus which if not treated may lead to invasive cancer. I’m sure the only way to help yourself is to get operated for I suppose you also have this pain chest and trouble swallowing or lose weight and appetite or have blood when vomiting and if so you need a surgery. And it’s recommended to do it as fast as possible for the esophagus cancer may develop rapidly spreading over lymph nodes also. After barrets esophagus surgery you’re advised to have endoscopy once in a year in order to detect eventual dysplasia that are in fact precancerous stages that needs to be treated effectively and on time.

Good eveing,
I have been in much disstress over this diagnosis of barrets just about a year ago..I have what I call attacks,with pain under the breast bone so servere, that last sometimes 4 or more hrs. The last 3 weeks in has become increasingly worse, including swallowing. I've been on meds but they are no longer helping. I have tried to serch for an answers to find out if the symptoms eventually get worse once you have this condition? please I am very scared and have gone back to my doctor. Thanks for any, Delrock99